We've had countless discussions on here about the religious colloquialisms and sayings that others say that we tolerate (e.g. many don't mind something like, ("I hope you get better soon - I'll pray for you", or something as simple as "bless you" after a sneeze). But what about the other end of the spectrum?

What are the xian, or religious for that matter, sayings that drive you crazy or get under your skin? For instance, here are a couple of mine...

• When a religious person sees another who is down on his luck, or has had some tragedy, or is simply "not as good as" the religious person and they say, "There but for the grace of god go I". How pompous and sanctimonious, not to mention cruel and selfiish
  • Sports figures, actors, etc. who go through the histrionics of thanking god when something great happens to them. What, did god hate the other players/competitors?

You get the idea.

Can't wait to read your thoughts on this!

Tags: Sayings

Views: 5544

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"People who are "spiritual" for me seem to cover every other part of woo and crazy that even main stream religions aovid. "

true true. I think there should have been at least another couple "o's" in "woo" though.

Wait a minute....you mean I am not my own god? Damn the bad luck. :^ )

But I remain a legend in my own mind....

No kidding! But those same people are just as dogmatic about believing in a "higher power" as any of the others!

You know what grates my cheese! When people say "I've left religion to follow Jesus"....

Um, what the %$#@ do you think you're following moron?

Grrr..

Great reply,

My missus, a born-again since the mid 80s, and yes we're still married, is an interesting story in and of itself.  She has been in that manic assemblage ever since.  Forcing me to attend the gatherings "with the family" to an essentially Pentecost event forced me to evaluate my up to that time agnostic position to finally admit I was an atheist and "out" myself to family and friends.  That position has steadily been reinforced ever since.

Now for my answer to the question; I agree with you in that every time I say the obvious about her being in a "religion" she comes back with "I have a relationship with the lard" and denies she is involved in a "religion".  It's an evolved term to be sure, but it infuriates me nonetheless.  I've replied that if she was in a "relationship" with a real and visible man I could defeat him.  A myth can have as much power and ability as a believer wants to lend it, but it's all bovine fecal matter in the end.

I've heard "I am not religious" (meaning they are non-denominational) spoken by Xians often enough that I wonder how many of them answer that way on polls about peoples religion.  Could they be artificially inflating the numbers of freethinkers reported by the polls, by answering this way?

Yah, a few theists I have known, claim that what they believe is not an ideology, but the 'truth'. Sadly, what they believe is not the same as 2+2=4. Most of them do not understand the difference..;p(

Hmm.. I believe our thoughts, beliefs, and the energies we give off do affect the reality we exist in. This short video might interest you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRfMk3Fs5Es

that's basically Solipsism. ..

lol yeah that is how you die from diseases that could have been treated and cured by believing that positive thought will fix it...ha ha

The first few that come to mind:

"You'll be in my prayers."

"It was part of God's plan."

"What would Jesus do?"

I have to admit, the first one only bugs me in the right situations. For instance, if someone in my family - say, my wife or kids - is sick, and someone offers to keep them "in [my] prayers", I view that as a nice thing. The main reason is that they are doing what they can to help me feel better and in their own way they mean well.

However, when people are using it sanctimoniously - such as when they find out I am a knowledgeable unrepentant atheist - and they usually couple it with something like "Satan has your soul" or "you're being deceived by Satan" or - and this one really pisses me off - they say "well, you'll wise up and come around to god before you die." I got the last version often when I was younger and older people would say this to me to indicate that I am "too immature" and haven't "heard god's voice" to bring me back into the fold.

I agree about the last two - and the person who invented the WWJD? bracelets should be shot. What really cracks me up/pisses me off is that, in almost all situations, Jesus would NOT APPROVE of the way most xians live their lives and treat others. What they're really saying is, "I know what jesus would do, and I do what he would do, and obviously you don't."

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service