Okay, so earlier today, I had a little discussion with a theist who just didn't seem to know the meaning of the sentence "give up, you're out of arguments!"

I used the "silver bullet" technique. (Asking him what his strongest argument was and then completely breaking it down, so all his other arguments are automatically bullpeep)

But this guy just didn't show any sign of stopping.

And after many hours of argueing and yes/no fights, it all came down to one question. He said: "Okay, suppose I'm right. Suppose you die and come before god. What are you going to say to him when he tells you that you have been a bad person for not believing in him?"

My reply was: "If god would say that I have been a bad person, I'd say he's out of his mind! I am in no way a bad person, just as you are in no way an atheist."

But now that I think about it...I actually have no idea at all what I really would say...

Just SUPPOSE that he's right (of course, he is not), and you DO appear in front of god. What the hell would you say?

Just wondering...

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Suppose you die and come before god. What are you going to say to him when he tells you that you have been a bad person for not believing in him?"

I've been a bad person alright but if this is what constitutes the worst of my deeds I might suggest he check his priorities. Then maybe ask for a smoke, what's it going to do kill me?

I'd give him a list of what I wanted for Xmas.
The problem with this question is that no one has, and I suppose ever will, adequately define this god shit. What would I say to the god of the Muslims or the Catholics or the Mormons or the Hindus or the fundies or the liberals or the whores or the gamblers or the pedos or the...? I suppose the broadest answer would be "Wow. Now what?"
God? DAMN!!!

I would question his state of perfection and omnipotence, as others have noted.  Why, if he was such a glorious deity, would he stoop to care about me?  What bearing do I possibly have on his being?  If he responds (this whole thing is lolrific) that he is a god of grace, I would wonder why he didn't stop the Holocaust or why he allowed humans to dump atomic bombs on each other or etc, etc, etc. 

In other words, there can be no perfect god, so any god I would come before would just be an uber powerful being that felt petty enough to exert control over me.

I think my response would be, "I gave you twenty years of my life dedicated to your cause and your service. You never took the time to reveal yourself to me. I spent six years as an agnostic, saying maybe I don't know if you are real, and you never bothered to set me straight. So after twenty six years of doubt, unanswered prayers and cringing at the bigotry of your followers I became an atheist. Now I am dead and you stand before me to tell me that I am not a good person for having not believed in you? Fuck yourself and your silent eternity. Your "good people" caused more blood and tears to spill than anyone who rejected you. Eternity praising you is my idea of hell. I reject the holy spirit and I reject you."

But then I am an angry ex-Sunday school teacher.

"That shit with the mathematical constant e? What the hell was THAT, dude?"

That's pascal's wager but here I go.

You dear deity are a despicable despot who could have at any moment alleviated human suffering and it would have cost you nothing.  Since I now know you exist I will spend what time I have trying to make things better for people just like I did while I was alive since you are either incapable, incompetent or dispassionate.  

How about "You are an omniscient, omnipotent being who by definition understands the fallible creature that is man yet you would punish man, who compared to you in terms of awareness is less than the ant a man may casually trod upon, to an eternity of torment for not *worshipping* you? You're so vain [and then I'd start singing Carly Simon].

Oh, yeah, and WTF is it with all that evidence you planted regarding the age of the universe, the earth, evolution, and the like? That's just shady."

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service