Okay, so earlier today, I had a little discussion with a theist who just didn't seem to know the meaning of the sentence "give up, you're out of arguments!"

I used the "silver bullet" technique. (Asking him what his strongest argument was and then completely breaking it down, so all his other arguments are automatically bullpeep)

But this guy just didn't show any sign of stopping.

And after many hours of argueing and yes/no fights, it all came down to one question. He said: "Okay, suppose I'm right. Suppose you die and come before god. What are you going to say to him when he tells you that you have been a bad person for not believing in him?"

My reply was: "If god would say that I have been a bad person, I'd say he's out of his mind! I am in no way a bad person, just as you are in no way an atheist."

But now that I think about it...I actually have no idea at all what I really would say...

Just SUPPOSE that he's right (of course, he is not), and you DO appear in front of god. What the hell would you say?

Just wondering...

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Why did you make me an atheist?"  This quoted from Ricky Gervais....really that is the best I can think of.  Besides if simply just not believing is being bad then all of us are in hot water with this guy because how can you go anywhere from that point?  I have met many folks who profess to believe in God and they are all guilty of committed sins over and over again, so the way I see it is that this God would be pretty pissed at all of us.  Right?
"Ahem, sir, your flies are..."

Why would I say anything to an anthropomophic personafication?

Why I think the same reason one would talk to non-anthropomorphic personified things. I sweet talk to my car for instance at those rare moments when I do experience real freude am fahren. I scream at traffic lights. I once cursed at a garage-door that unexpectedly got stuck half way. None of those things can talk back or understand what I am saying (or I'd be in real trouble) but at least they have this advantage over the anthropomorphic personification you are referring to that they do at least exist and I do too in order to be able to do the talking.

I'd say nothing. I'd wait for the addictive thought form residual to wear off, so I could take the form of something else, hopefully without addictive properties.
"If he (your theist friend) and the bible are correct about you, tell me... Which way is Hell?"

Iäd likely just stare, puzzled, at first, politely say ÄhiÄ, and wait for Him to start the conversation, whatever it may be. I wouldnät know what to ask or say, or how to do so, so, better that God start the convo, and just go from there.

I will be pissed, though, if God himself says to me that I was supposed to believe in him. I mean, what a freakinä ego, amirite_

Which god are we speaking of here!?  There are so many of them! With over 10000 religions around and all the mythical gods from the beginning of time, I'd be hard up to pick one question. Every religion has a different perception of their personal god and each person within that religion has their own view of what that god is like.  If I was asked  by the xian god why I didn't believe, I think I'd say, " Hey you created me an atheist, answer your own question"   I would be the most bad ass person I could be.  But, I guess that will never happen, because the only gods that exist are in our imaginations! But it's fun to pretend.
"Where the hell have you been? Have you SEEN what has happened to the world lately?"
I would have a lot of questions, specifically about the problem of evil, and what rules prevented him from helping us out, or if he is in fact not omnipotent etc.

Me: Who made you?

God: Ummmmmm.....

To quote Ricky Gervais  

"Why did you make me an atheist?" 

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service