Or the Koran, etc. etc.

My choices would be,

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the looking glass and what alice found there. By Lewis Carroll

2. The Complete Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

3. Cats Cradle, By Vonnegut Jr. (Or almost anything by him, also particularly Sirens of the Titans) 

What about you? What book or narative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality, then the trash presented by the pig religions?

Views: 1486

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would create a fun book for cultural anthropology that discusses how other cultures live together. This would include successes and failures, institutions, legal frameworks, moral maxims, etc. To help show people both how hard it can be to keep a civil culture going, and show what it looks like when it works.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, by Richard Bach.

Oh, I forgot about that one.  Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah is a great one too, also by Richard Bach.  The basic premise is that we are all our own messiahs.  Come to think of it, I need to read that again.  It's been too long.

Addendum:  It took me about 30 seconds to find it on pdf.  I love the internet!  Nothing beats an actual book, though.

I thought about that Dale, but it promotes the concept of an afterlife, and though I love the hell out of stuff like that (because I wish it were true), I wouldn't want anyone foisting it onto children - maybe if it came with a PG-13 label --

Some sort secular humanist manifesto perhaps?

I wonder if the hotels would let some atheist benevolent society put  Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell or any number of Hitchens' or Dawkins' tomes in the rooms as well. 

Equal time?

For hotels - the Kama Sutra or The Joy of Sex (or an equivalent, illustrated).
In general, science texts, The Varieties of Scientific Experience, etc.

Probably for many men, a stack of Hustlers, Juggs, and Barely Legals might be more appreciated. LOL

See, I more ment like in a "If you had a time machine" sense, Like if you could meet mosses on the mount (or mohamed or jesus), and convince him that you were an angel, I don't know using your I-Phone or whatever, what book would you give him with the expectation of molding the future in a beter way? I think Mohamed could have benafited from the "Lobster Quadrille". Hell they would have been better off with a TV guide from 1991 then what they ended up with.

Or would you kill him with a rock? Totally acceptable answer also.

Two stone tablets - one engraved "Don't Worry" and the other, "Be Happy"

Carl Sagan's Cosmos --

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service