Or the Koran, etc. etc.

My choices would be,

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the looking glass and what alice found there. By Lewis Carroll

2. The Complete Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

3. Cats Cradle, By Vonnegut Jr. (Or almost anything by him, also particularly Sirens of the Titans) 

What about you? What book or narative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality, then the trash presented by the pig religions?

Views: 1472

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Definitive Edition of Rudyard Kiplings Verse or Collected Poems of Robert W. Service.  Both of these gentlemen had the astounding ability to enlighten human nature.

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

Richard Dawkins Gun Germs and Steel

Richard Dawkins didn't write Guns, Germs and Steel.  Or were you intending that to be more like "Anything by Richard Dawkins, and Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel?"

Everyone should read the book or see the documentary Guns, Germs, and Steel, because it explains why the Northern hemisphere, and the Western quadrant in particular, have done so much better economically than the rest of the world. And, at heart, it has nothing whatever to do with colonialism and/or imperialism or any other sort of ethical/moral flaw. More to do with accidents of geography and the distribution of resources.

I'd replace it with The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Steve Covey.  The guy was a Mormon but that book has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with ethics and relating to others.

none, Fundies are Fundies no matter what book they follow! 

I just watched Christopher Hitchins revising the Ten Commandments,  Not a long clip so pretty much worth taking a look here

*For low bandwidth people, it's about 8 minutes long.

Let's make it a little easier for everyone --

Personally, I would replace religious texts with a diverse multitude of books with various philosophical and anthropological premises associated with matters of principle and consciousness. Off the top of my head.. Cultural Materialism by Marvin Harris, Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche, The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris, and Being and Time by Martin Heidegger--to name a few.

...also the Temporary Autonomous Zone, by Hakim Bey (Peter Lamborn Wilson) for shits and giggles.

I would replace the bible with:

"Thinking for Dummies"

....Que Cymbal Crash...sorry  that was not very nice..feeling extra acrimonious this week..my republican friends are blaming me for the stock market slump.

I thought that the hallmarks of atheism were tolerance, diversity and coexistence.  This seems like a very intolerant question to me.  Pro-me does not necessarily have to be anti-you (or anyone else), right?  I'm all for "Here are some of my favorite books.  What are your favorites?"  But that's not what this question is about, is it?  Perhaps a better approach would be something like, "I don't believe that the bible is true (and here's why) and here are some books that I believe are true (and why)."

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 18 minutes ago. 162 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.