Or the Koran, etc. etc.

My choices would be,

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the looking glass and what alice found there. By Lewis Carroll

2. The Complete Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

3. Cats Cradle, By Vonnegut Jr. (Or almost anything by him, also particularly Sirens of the Titans) 

What about you? What book or narative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality, then the trash presented by the pig religions?

Views: 1491

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was fortunate to be brought up in an atheist family and yet develop enough morality to be able to enjoy life without doing so ostensibly at other people's expense.

As children, our mother read us Hilair Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children and Aesop's fables.  Aesop's fables all contain animals so that also provided a play outlet with toy animals that substituted for Noah's Ark. The Cautionary tales are in rhyme which was huge fun- my favorites were Matilda, and Jim.  If you haven't read them, there is a full copy on line of the original illustrated stories/rhymes that google will take you to. We also read Edward Lear's Book of Nonsense, and Lewis Carroll's Alice tales.  

To better understand the concept of divinity, we had anthologies of diverse mythologies, which probably helped us to conclude that tales of gods were fictional. I suspect my delight at Fantasy and Sci_fi stories in later life stemmed from here.

Going to early teen/mid teen years, a book called "The Little Red Schoolbook" was clandestinely circulated amongst the students.  This dealt with teen sexuality, relationships and stuff like that, with very helpful diagrams.  The fact (or maybe pretense) that this book was somehow illicit, made it that much more desirable to read.  

Sex education was taught in Biology, and always seemed to begin with "When a man and a woman love each other very much..." and rather quickly after that, "the penis is inserted into the vagina and fertilisation occurs".  Not really very helpful, especially when the Little Red Schoolbook was so much more explicit.

Our Religious Education classes at school taught us about the major religions and what was believed by each.  The variety presented, without indoctrination, allowed us to learn about other cultures but the diversity also helped to highlight that adopting a religion was a choice, not an obligation.

I don't believe that one single book can be a guide to life, but for adulthood, the most all-encompassing single tome I have read is Bill Bryson's fairly recent book "A Short History of Nearly Everything". The caveat to this book being adopted as core reading would have to be that it be periodically updated to keep abreast of scientific discovery and development.

The Little Red School Book was great. 

The Kama Sutra.

I think I would choose "1984" by George Orwell or the graphic novel "V for Vendetta"

I think I like your mind set, Brave new world would be good too. I also love a clock work orange, It's the best thing I've ever read about the nature of morality.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is a very good choice as well as Aesop Fables ..

{What book or narrative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality...}

My four year old Grandson's coloring book. %^}

More seriously:

1. The Complete Works of Mark Twain.

2. Marvel's The Fantastic Four, The World's Greatest Comic Magazine, Issues 55 & 56.

3. Or, once you're tired of reading, Pulp Fiction ~ a Quentin Tarantino film.

Now that's a practical suggestion!

Atlas Shrugged. For the morality (what else is there?). As with most things, read in context-as a product of it's author; her experiences and the times (1950's).

I suspect the more vocal detractors haven't read the book, and are only familiar with the authors more scandalous and somewhat crazy later years.

What would you replace the bible with if you could?

A fucking lecture book about physics.

Nice one 

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 6 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service