Or the Koran, etc. etc.

My choices would be,

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the looking glass and what alice found there. By Lewis Carroll

2. The Complete Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

3. Cats Cradle, By Vonnegut Jr. (Or almost anything by him, also particularly Sirens of the Titans) 

What about you? What book or narative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality, then the trash presented by the pig religions?

Views: 1498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd go with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. 

May I ask why you would go with Lord Of the Rings ? 

Harry Potter.

Because it tells the tale of how evil can influence the world and so on.

But it also tells that you from time to time have to bend the rules to be good. 

But most importantly it tells you that you are not born greate it is requires hard work and stamina

Alice, Hitchhiker's, and Vonnegut are all much more entertaining than the bible. For entertainment value, I would compare the bible with the National Electrical Code, although the NEC makes much more sense.

http://www.neca-neis.org/safetyNEC/?fa=nec-and-neca

Plus, Ron, Hitchhiker's Guide To the Galaxy (all four books of the trilogy) has the added advantage of suggesting we:

Yes, 'Don't Panic'!

If you live, it is just another day in the universe, make the best of it.

If you die, your problems are over, it is the rest of us that have to clean up your mess!

I promise to do it as neatly as I possibly can --

Nothing, because then Christians would have nothing to base their faith or beliefs on and there would be a whole lot less of them if any at all. It was also what was relied on to support slavery, the inquisition, the crusades, etc etc - all of it most likely not happening. Finally, it was what legitimized the Catholic church which took our civilization into the dark ages, so by replacing the Bible with nothing, the church would have never gained traction, and most likely we would be a much more socially and technologically advanced society today. 

Since we can't really run the experiment of 'no bible influencing history', we are stuck with this culture, or good or ill. I was of the impression that the 'dark ages' aso included the plague, which killed pprox 1/3 of the human population in Europe. That would sure kick the wind out of anyone's sails/sales!

It's true the bubonic plague did occur during the dark ages, but it's only real cure was antibiotics which really didn't become effective until the early to mid-20th century and many of the deaths could have been prevented by the understanding of how the disease spread, but germ theory wasn't really created or proven until the 19th century. Given that the dark ages were from the 5th to the 15th centuries and that the bubonic plague stuck in the 6th and [hardest in the] 14th centuries the question is whether without the existence of the bible would have medical science advanced more than 600 years faster than (and in the way) it did in time to save the many Europeans that were killed? Secondly we must ask, unlike the genocides, inquisition, the crusades, and slavery, was the naturally occurring plague a "bad" thing that should have been prevented from occuring?

Ironically, Chris, during Europe's Dark Ages, it was the followers of Islam that kept knowledge alive and Christian/Muslim conflict that reintroduced it to Europe.

The biggest problem with Christian Europe of this era, was that it replaced thinking, with believing, as evidenced by the classic example that Galileo spent the last years of his life under house arrest for announcing that the sun did not revolve around the Earth, for the simple reason that the theory conflicted with that - as we all know - inerrant book, the Bible.

"God is Not Great, How Religion Poisons Everything" by Christopher Hitchens

or among children

"The Magic of Reality" by Richard Dawkins

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 34 minutes ago. 33 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 66 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 1 hour ago. 33 Replies

Why do we want to show people they are wrong?

Started by Haugurma in Small Talk. Last reply by CAPTAIN OBVIOUS 5 hours ago. 49 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service