Or the Koran, etc. etc.

My choices would be,

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland/Through the looking glass and what alice found there. By Lewis Carroll

2. The Complete Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy, by Douglas Adams.

3. Cats Cradle, By Vonnegut Jr. (Or almost anything by him, also particularly Sirens of the Titans) 

What about you? What book or narative do you think presents a better understanding of Morality/reality/sexuality/ and/or spirituality, then the trash presented by the pig religions?

Views: 1484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Um.  Looks like a really poor choice of words on my part, it's clear my intended meaning didn't make it to my keyboard, much less your monitor.

By timeless, I was trying to convey "will always ring true no matter how much we as a culture learn in the future," a test the Bible fails dismally in many respects. I did not mean "actually old" though if I did the Vedas would certainly work as an example!

The bible explicitly states that it is non-severable, that all of itself is true. That leads to the interesting phenomenon of people feeling they must defend the absolutely, factually absurd parts of it, because they accept the more philosophical parts as true (and most of that is crap too IMHO but that's a philosophical discussion, not a concrete factual one). 

And then the moderate cafeteria Xians who pick and choose according to some rationale that doesn't seem rational to me; the favorite dodge being to claim the factual absurdities are meant to be metaphors.  Meanwhile science and historical research plugs on, converting more and more of the bible into "oh, that was just meant to be a metaphor."

i think though that we were thinking of science textbooks being updated constantly not a stagnant set. That is the point of getting away from the Bible etc. the idea is that science evolves with our ability to test more and more things empirically and therefore in general does not get stuck in a rut. Though admittedly sources of funding tend to limit the direction and sometimes stagnate research...

Something by Zizek. It'd take a lot of narrowing down to choose.

No contest for me: Aesop's Fables.

Without a doubt the best collection of morals and wonderful storytelling ever. There are so many of those stories that have stayed with me through the years.

Agreed.

Yeah I was gonna say that too. But I couldn't remember if there was anything questionable in there. Think I was starting to mix the stories up with Mother Goose for some reason.

Before I read your reply I thought, "That's easy!  The Hitchhiker's Guide!"  We all have a lot to learn from the gentle mattresses of Squornshellous Zeta.  And who among us can't identify, at least to some degree, with Marvin?  

It's got genocide, suicide, freeloading, betrayal, homicidal flying robots brandishing clubs, the end of the universe, and not-so-bright deities.  It has lessons on time-travel grammar, multi-dimensional history, and restaurant mathematics.  

Maybe it won't give me eternal life, but it always makes me feel good when I read it and it makes much more sense that the Bible.

+billion gazillion!

I love that series. Been rereading the entire series and I couldn't agree more. It has something for everyone. Don't think there is a person on the planet who couldn't find a character or species from the books they could relate to.

It's just so clever, and meaningful, and tragic, all without sacraficing it's amazing sense of humor. I think it's one of the few "Laugh out loud" books ever writen. Although I have to recomend Siren of the titans, It's also a space epic but far darker, it teaches one a good deal about both the sarrows of isolation and the horrors of unity.

it makes much more sense that the Bible.

I didn't realize you had set the bar so low.  :D

I didn't have too many literal laugh out louds with the Hitchhiker's Trilogy (which alas, is not ever going to become more inaccurately named than it already is) [my bellylaugh sense of humor is generally visually based], but it's full of smile-and-thought-producing material, an absolute classic and possibly the best sustained humor out there in literature.

My D&D game world owes much to Douglas Adams (much to the groans of my players).

@Diane - you left out the best of all, Vogon poetry!

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service