I'm curious as to what sort of event or discovery would be enough to "prove" the existence of a god to you?

Would it be hearing the god's voice in your head? Would it be an event predicted in some holy book? The god rearranging the stars of a particular galaxy to spell "Yes I'm real" in every known language, as viewed from Earth?

Views: 948

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HaHa. See, that's the problem. 2 + 2 = 4 because you believed your teacher when she forced you to memorize it. And mathematicians of the highest caliber can use thousands of memorized statements to prove without a doubt that 2 + 2 = 4. But the bottom line is that somewhere there were commonly accepted assumptions made to form the foundation of that proof.

Are you serious? You think something as simple as counting two finger on your left hand and two finger on your right hand is based on an assumption?

As I was reading this thread, I got to this point where Doug P. posted:

"...My brain is fried...". while trying to comprehend that 2+2=4.

I believed him.

Pi  is not an exact value.  It is an irrational number which continues without end.

I guess you have to be a mathematician to understand how that can be proven. I'm not. But sometimes I'll hear someone say that pi is a string of numbers "which never repeats itself." I don't understand what they mean by that. For example, if they are saying that the two-digit combination "15" is never found more than once, that's nonsense. 

Oh, okay. That makes more sense. So I guess you never get ...55 either. If so, that is bizarre, but I know pi is rather bizarre anyway, and turns up in the most unexpected places (like having nothing at all to do with circles).

That is easy, all he has to do is appear before everyone, in all his glory, and performing a few miracles on the way.  Something like: reversing global warming, ending world hunger and poverty, making all murderers, paedophiles, rapists and drugs disappear.

Even then, that could just be some extremely advanced alien species that bothered to skim through our brief history and decided to play up on the beliefs of the powerful majority.

That sounds good.... except for the drugs.... why make them disappear when you can just make them safe?

Floating mountains would convince me. It would look awsome too.

A small shred of objective evidence would be a start. There is none though. All gods remain completely hidden which leads me to conclude that they do not exist.

I think first before proving anything God must be defined as in the case of "ignosticism." It's also been said by those who've had religious or mystical experience that there is no longer no doubt, no ignorance, etc. of the nature of reality and where the divine stands, if it stands at all there from that point-of-view.

Are you serious?

RSS

Events

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service