I'm curious as to what sort of event or discovery would be enough to "prove" the existence of a god to you?

Would it be hearing the god's voice in your head? Would it be an event predicted in some holy book? The god rearranging the stars of a particular galaxy to spell "Yes I'm real" in every known language, as viewed from Earth?

Views: 924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just for you, RobertPiano...

LOL nice Strega!

Incontrovertible EVIDENCE, based on scientific proof along with many, many pictures and videos.   

I heard God and Mary made a sex tape. It allegedly violated large parts of the OT, especially the part where Ra and Ganesha joined in. Jesus, being Republican, had the whole thing buried when he decided to run for the office of Christ. Not a difficult task given there was no internet back in the early A.D.s.

I keep looking for the 'grin', I think. Something that, how ever fleeting, seems to offer an insight that might have been unexpected.

I never seem to find 'god', but only rich examples of eternity intruding into my perception. Sometimes I have a a little cry, or moment of wonder, that stops me from all my suppositions, or absractions...  

Any reasonably advanced alien could fool us into believing they were a 'god' or even 'THE GOD' if we went by all  the old standards of proof.   Healing the sick, raising the dead, curing blindness, deafness, performing other miracles.. making and fulfilling prophecies, reading minds (answering prayers) etc..    The point is that there is no sure way to prove the existence of a god.

Perhaps the closest way would be for them to turn YOU into a god yourself.  With expanded consciousness you might be able to fathom the entire universe at once...  immediately connect with all beings and life forms... etc..   Something along those lines would be a start.   It still wouldn't be absolute proof.  For all we know reasonably advanced aliens could give us a facsimile of this experience that would fool us completely.

A miracle might prove the existence, but I have had some bizarre, unlikely things happen in my life that might qualify as miracles to some.  According to some Christians with whom I have talked, these miracles are clear signs that a god is trying to get our attention.  

A friend of mine who has had a huge battle with addiction to heroin suddenly became clean through, he says, "something" other than his decision or efforts to do so.  He has interpreted this as proof that there is some force or entity that intervened.  This has been a life-changing event for him. 

I don't care if it was the Great Green Arkleseizure, or himself, who helped him stop using heroin.  I would never try to talk him out of his miracle.  In some alternate dimension, however, there could be a Diane for whom this event could open a door that allowed other events to be interpreted as miraculous.  This could lead to talking to more religious people which could lead to even further confusion from which I could emerge with a little more willingness to allow myself to be brainwashed into believing, say, Jesus exists.

As I have been told by more than one evangelical Christian, with an attitude of unwillingness like mine, I will not be able to believe.  Exactly what I had in mind!

On the other hand, if something happened that clearly convinced me a god existed, I like to think I wouldn't stubbornly still refuse to believe.  What proof there could be that couldn't ultimately be explained away by trickery, aliens, or insanity I don't know.

And then what?  What would matter to me if I had proof that a god existed would be what I did with that information, what effect it had on my life.  In that case, it doesn't matter whether the proof actually proved the existence of a god or not.  All that would matter is whether or not I thought it did.

That is the kind of proof am offered by Christians often.  They say they have experienced the existence of a god themselves.   In short, I would have to have some kind of conversion experience myself, not vicariously through others.  Even then, I would most likely attribute it to some other, more rational explanation.

It's no wonder I don't believe in god!  I am truly skeptical and not easily convinced of its existence. 

I'll see what I can whip up.

Well, voices in the head only indicate that you may be insane.  If you make enough predictions, one will  come true.  Proves nothing.  Rearranging the stars???---not really because alternate explanations can be offered.

One word... POKEMON!

Hehehe :P

The main one would be for God to be even a possible concept. However, there's little about the concept of God that squares up with what science tells us about our world and universe. Take away the superpowers and magic and what do you have left?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. 

I'm a skeptic. 

Even I don't know what defining evidence it would take for me to reach a new conclusion. 

But do you know who would? 

An omnipotent deity. 

That's the perks of being omnipotent. 

They'd know exactly what evidence to present me with, because they would know precisely what I'm thinking at all times. 

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service