I'm curious as to what sort of event or discovery would be enough to "prove" the existence of a god to you?

Would it be hearing the god's voice in your head? Would it be an event predicted in some holy book? The god rearranging the stars of a particular galaxy to spell "Yes I'm real" in every known language, as viewed from Earth?

Views: 917

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A guest appearance would be nice. Screw the ephemeral stuff. Take a walk down every street and talk to everyone at the same time and do not leave, ever. Cure everyone of everything including the amputees this time. That should be a trivial trick for this god.

Carl Sagan, in his book Contact, proposes an interesting and clever scenario that would certainly raise eyebrows at least. I think the following would be a very good start for evidence of the existence of a sentient creator.

This is from Wiki.

"Ellie, acting upon a suggestion by the senders of the message, works on a program which computes the digits of pi to record lengths in different bases. Very far from the decimal point (1020) and in base 11, it finds that a special pattern does exist when the numbers stop varying randomly and start producing 1s and 0s in a very long string. The string's length is the product of 11 prime numbers. The 1s and 0s when organized as a square of specific dimensions form a rasterized circle. The extraterrestrials suggest that this is a signature incorporated into the Universe itself. Yet the extraterrestrials are just as ignorant to its meaning as Ellie, as it could be still some sort of a statistical anomaly. They also make reference to older artifacts built from space time itself (namely the wormhole transit system) abandoned by a prior civilization. A line in the book suggests that the image is a foretaste of deeper marvels hidden even further within pi. This new pursuit becomes analogous to SETI; it is another search for meaningful signals in apparent noise."

That would need some doing. Something that only this deity could do - like forming another moon in front of our eyes and have it circle around our planet. If it is that kind dude they speak about in Paul then I would accept it if he came down and ended poverty, famine, and war on Earth. No, those are not too bigger tasks for a being described as omnipotent.

This could easily be done by an extraterrestrial technology that has evolved eons ahead of our own. Who was it that said that a miracle by the bible's standards would be indistinguishable from an extraterrestrial technology?

Ok, there have been some pretty creative responses, but I'm going to change the question a little bit now. What would be the LEAST amount of proof that would be required for you to start entertaining the idea that there is a supernatural intelligence at work in the universe?

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 3 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service