I'm curious as to what sort of event or discovery would be enough to "prove" the existence of a god to you?

Would it be hearing the god's voice in your head? Would it be an event predicted in some holy book? The god rearranging the stars of a particular galaxy to spell "Yes I'm real" in every known language, as viewed from Earth?

Views: 921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You don't suppose that IT took one look inside your head and ran screaming to the far corners of the Universe?  I'm pretty confident that's what would happen if IT looked inside mine...

Even FSM ain't touching that.

Hearing God's voice in my head wouldn't prove anything aside from the fact that I'm likely a lunatic, as many have no doubt already stated. An event predicted in some sort of holy book wouldn't necessarily prove anything, as such events tend to be vague and open to interpretation. It would literally have to say "Event A is going to happen on day B of Month C of Year D in location E." Now the star thing? That would be nearly impossible to dispute, and thus would certainly make quite an argument for the existence of God.

But so what?

Even if all of these things were to come to pass, which God is it? Regardless of the God, he or she has quite a bit of explaining to do, and merely existing doesn't do anything to garner my worship. For example, the Judeo Christian God (Jaweh, Jehovah, Allah, whatever) is cast in some rather harsh and unpleasant light. The old testaments write him up as a tyrannical monster: brutal, petty, jealous, and cruel, and the new testament isn't much better. Hell or no Hell, such a being would have to alter my entire brain chemistry to make me worship him, and if he did that, then what would be the point?

TL; DR: existence or no, there are few deities that actually merit worship. Existence doesn't necessarily earn them worship, it just means we have to acknowledge them.

If a bearded manly mandude floated down from the sky, made my guitar fall in love with my bicycle, and as a result; give birth to a Chihuahua. Just to prove omnipotence.

Does the type of beard matter?

Spectacular, Kris!

A regular chick magnet, that guy.

Actually, if that happened, wouldn't "I must be insane, or maybe someone slipped me some acid" be a much more likely thing to be thinking?

And now I'm going to have to go to a whole lot of trouble to pull off a hoax like that. 

Thanks.

Depends on which one you need proof of.

Odin taking me across the bridge wouldn't be a bad start.

Zeus showing me around his living quarters on top of the mountain would go a long way in the process.

Whichever doG it turns out to be he/she would have to validate all the claims made about him/her by the faithful.

Well if I heard "god's voice" in my head I would probably go to a psychiatric ward. If a holy book predicted something happening thousands of years down the road and it was completely specific then I would probably believe (none of this "in those days good will be evil and evil will be good,") okay well that happens all the time. For example in the 1800s it was considered good to make women wear dresses all the time, however now it would be against human rights.  If god took an observed galaxy and rearranged the stars I would believe him. But I think if he came riding down from heaven on a cloud and was like "hey yo I am real" then I would believe.

Well, if I could see, hear, smell, taste, or feel God, which has yet to occur in my 77 years, I would be tempted to believe, but not before I had myself examined for signs of Alzheimer's.

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 6 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service