What would be a suitable punishment for the boys who bullied their bus monitor?

Have you seen the video?:

Leaving aside what the school or their parents might do, what would really serve the interest of justice?

Also, is no one teaching their children respect for elders anymore?

Views: 1275

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Please be fair, there is big difference between pointless physical abuse of a child and making a point to your child. Yes, most people don't get it right and they end up abusing their children both physically and psychologically because they're complete idiots who are overwhelmed with raising a child - but it is definitely not the same thing.

By the way, does anyone remember this fine gentleman?

He posted follow up videos too, his method worked and he did make a point.

Now let's find those parents' phone numbers and tell them to smash their kids' fancy iphones and game consoles.

Exactly. I'm tired of people equating corporal punishment with beating the shit out of them. Anyone who actually beats up their kid belongs in jail. But a swat on the bottom, cuffing their ears. These things can establish who's in control and who must be obeyed.

Remember how stupid most adults are (they believe in religion, don't they?). Kids are far less subject to mere reason. Anyone who's argued with a teen knows exactly what I mean. ("So what if I was driving too close. Nothing happened, did it?"). You can't really reason with most grown-ups or they'd be atheists, too. You need to get your kid's attention.

Edison was cuffed on the ear - he was deaf in that ear for life.

The violent world of the past had better behaved kids. Perhaps men who hit women were ABUSED in a drastic way. To imply it's because they got a swat from their dad because they sassed a teacher doesn't even pass the giggle test.

The violent world of today is populated primarily by boys who grew up absent much parental authority.

RE: "The violent world of the past had better behaved kids."

If they were "better behaved," and I have no evidence that they were, it was out of fear, rather than any intrinsic understanding that there was an acceptable, and an unacceptable way of behaving, and being clear as to why unacceptable behavior was considered so,.

This man's an idiot, and has no business raising kids.

(This post was supposed to fall below the video - I didn't mean you Unseen, the jury's still out on that.)

How do you explain, then, that the downward plunge in children's behavior pretty much coincides with your hippy-dippy "hit the kid, produce a criminal" theory of discipline?

You can't build a theory on anecdotal evidence. Leave the anecdotes aside and consider the correlation between increasing teen misbehavior and violence with the throttling of corporal punishment.

Tiffany, I've LIVED through this period. I'm 65. This spare the rod thinking rolled out majorly in the 1970's and the kind of behavior these kids evidenced, and similar stuff, started happening (surprise, surprise!) 10-15 years later on and has been getting worse as those kids became parents. I'll be gone in a few decades and the parents who bought into that horse pucky will be living the hell they've created for themselves.

Correlation is not causation. And every generation has complained about "kids these days" and their bad behavior. The truth is that the younger generations may have a different set of problems. Maybe they are 'worse' in some ways than we were. But they are also better in some ways - (in general) less racist, more atheist, more concerned about the environment, etc.

Correlation can certainly be evidence of a functional relationship. While there have always been badly behaved kids, today it seems bullying is rampant, disrespect of elders (even those charged with their care and protection), kids even in middle school are having sex sometimes right in school, virginal high school seniors are apparently as rare as hens teeth. These kids may be less racist and more concerned about the environment. However, I wouldn't wear their atheism as a badge of honor and suspect it's mostly theistic apathy: not believing in much of anything.

@Karen - I'm not sure which and it's not important enough to look up, but I recall one of the early Greek philosophers, some 300 years BCE, complaining about the "new generation." How mild is '50's Rock, compared with today's Rap? And yet some pieces, in the '50's, were actually banned from radio - it never ends.

Yep, the details change but the story remains the same.

According to American Decades: "Juvenile delinquency was considered a major social problem in the 1950s. Americans under the age of eighteen were committing serious crimes in growing numbers; their elders were horrified at the severity of the crimes and at the young criminals' disregard for authority."

And there's this:

RSS

© 2017   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service