it's obvious the bible is bedtime stories to explain what people didn't understand.

so, when your pet dies, what do you tell your child when s/he asks "where does fluffy go when he dies?"

just curious, cause I've sometimes wondered what I would tell my kids (if I have any)

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I was a kid my father used to tell me that this God thing is a fake story created by few greedy ppl  but he also advise me do not tell this to any of your friend or relatives and I think he was right that in a theocratic state if a kid talk about this sort of thing this could be problematic for him|her and his family.

But I think in this kind of society kids should only be encourged to ask questions, as Jean said, so they were able to work out few thing themselves according to situation.

I will tell whole truth about religion to my children when they get mature What is your opinion on that

It is vital to always tell the truth, especially to your children. We know they will reach a stage in their development where they will begin to form their own ideas, beliefs, etc. Should one lie to their child and that child discover that you lied or was wrong, one will lose the child's trust, or the child make think one was is not too smart and stop asking you the questions. They'll find someone else to ask.

Fluffy was buried, so now he will begin to DE-COM-POSE.  The stages of decomposition are decay, putrification, fermentation, and eventually Fluffy will be a pile of bones.  Seriously though never thought of using it as a science lesson.  I just tell my children that they did a good job caring for Fluffy and animals just like people get old and sick, and then die.  I've never been asked where they go when they die, but I imagine I'd say something like Fluffy had a good life and you have your memories.

lol.......

When my daughter asked this, I told her the truth: no one knows for sure.  I explained to her what different people believe, but that the truth is, it's a mystery.

Good answer!
Death is not a mystery! It's simply the end of life, why complicate things??????

One must first begin by being a professional in terms of beliefs and not express opinions as facts, otherwise one is no different than those one would accuse of spreading a lie. First, "bible" is spelled with a capital "b", Bible. In addition, to say "it's obvious the bible is bedtime stories..." is historically and scientifically not a true statement. Before one can answer a child's question truthfully, one must have one's facts straight in order to provide a comprehensible answer. I'm speaking as a scientist. One must not loose focus of one's endeavor to discover the "truth" and not propagate unsubstantiated opinions or propaganda; otherwise one is providing the other side with the ammo to damage this cause.

Dr. Angel Perez

There are plenty of great children's books to use as bedtime stories.  The bible is one of the last books I would have read to my sons........children's version or not.  As a conscious choice, I also no longer capitalize 'bible' or 'god.'  As Adriana stated - who's holy book?  The torah?  The koran?  Also, as has been stated by myself and a few others, there are certain topics that we do not know exact facts about - for example, what happens after we die.  I don't think we necessarily have to have all the facts before talking to children about these topics.  We still owe it to them to be as honest as we can be about what we do know and what we do not know.  I think it's safe to say that we are all her to 'discover' truths and not propagate unsubstantiated opinions.

There are no truths in the bible, it's a book of opinions only. To even mention the word "scientific" in the same sentence is an insult.

Signing Dr. is pretty funny...

I was 7-8 when our lovely black poodle ran in front of an uncoming car in front of my eyes.

He was just dead. I was sad, but that was that.

My mom picked him up and put him in the bottom basket of my little sister's stroller, we brought him home and burried him. He was missed for a while, but the pain goes away.

My mom didn't NEED to say anything... we know that death is the end of life, as birth is the beginning of life. There is no judgement call there, they are equal in grandeur.

So where does fluffly go when he dies... his flesh returns to the earth, to feed the earth.

Well, Agnosticism for start ... I dont know why some people assum that Kids can not grow up without God

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service