When it comes to death, either we or our family has to decide what to do with the body. When I look at countries burying people in layers or like this Jewish Church in the Czech Republic, Kutna Hora, I find myself shaking my head. Link http://www.wayfaring.info/2007/06/09/a-unique-work-of-high-and-late... The same stuff happens in cemeteries. They'll double sell plots now. We stockpile people like cord wood in the ground, or in churches, but what's the end game? Just keep stacking? Why?

Religiously speaking a Jew isn't to be cremated. It's against tradition. Christians are waiting for Jesus to return and since it's going to happen any day now, you should be buried so that he can raise you up. But for Atheists, do any of us want to be buried? I have chosen donating my body to science (gotta finish that paperwork) and the remains will be cremated, not that I care what happens. If you have chosen burial, what drives you to that decision? If not, why not?

For me, I just fantasize that I might be able to add to a statistic understanding or scientific experiment and give a few organs to those in need.

Tags: Burial, Choice, Cremation, Death

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would just like to add a story about 'Bob in a bag'. Bob was a skydiver who jumped in the early days with some of the senior members of my old club. He was also one of the earliest skydivers to have the last wish granted of having his ashes spread in freefall. Anyway, Pink Terry and The Komander put Bob's ashes in a plastic bag and prepared for the jump, with plenty of people joking about 'Bob in a bag'. Pink Terry and The Komander linked up as they got up to speed, and as Pink Terry pulled Bob-in-a-bag out of his jumpsuit the bag ripped and Pink Terry wound up inhaling a horrible stream of human ash. They tell the story a lot better, but I hope that I told it well enough to get at least a few laughs.

Oh, and if die a sudden death, I hope someone arranges it to look like a suicide caused by the unjust cancellation of Firefly. First Science fiction, otherwise, science.

... just like Bob intended.

:D

Donate my organs. If my organs are not usable, donate my body for the development of medicine or to train new doctors on it.

This is my choice.

http://www.promessa.se/?lang=en

(Note: The link above is for organic burial.  -- Dallas, volunteer moderator)

Thanks, Troy for the link.

And thanks, Dallas. I never click on unexplained links. Trojans, rick rolled, etc. I passed right over this until you added that info.

Cremated, encased in a nice ol cement block, and dropped into the sea to help coral reefs out.

Organs for harvest, what remains, science for study. Leave nothing to be dealt with by family.

I have signed a donation card.  I'll be cremated and buried with my son.
A funeral pyre would be cool personally, but its just a thought.
Same as practically everyone else here. I am an organ donor and I will be donating my body to science.

I am jumping in here only because I like this topic.  It seems to me that as non-theists, we still have found a way to fantasize on things that we have no control over, and no way to verify our eventual impact on the actual outcome. 

With that in mind, I am an animal lover, I would prefer to be fed to lions or scavenger birds.  If I were to switch living behaviors with a lion or a Vulture, I think an occasional hillbilly that was well fed, would be nice.

Oh yeah, just to defend my position, science has absolutely no desire to be stuck with my organs.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service