When I was a christian and went to church (still do),it was very boring and made me so tired I even yawned the whole way through.One of my sisters,my brothers and I went to church together with my parents.We would mess and fight with each other untill we got moved.Special occasions wre boring and I hated getting the bread as it tasted like cardboard (or at least what I imagine cardboard to taste like).I had to be in the school choir and sing whenever there was a communion or confirmation,I think there was a funeral once.

I want to hear your experience.

Tags: boring, choir., church, experience, holy/sacred place of worship, tiring, yawning

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to church once. It was Catholic mass on Palm Sunday in Boston after 9/11. It was a little scary as I had no idea what to expect and I didn't want to mess anything up or do anything disrespectful. It was a very interesting and fun experience.

Otherwise my place of worship, as it were, was my front & back yards, the ocean, and the parks filled with trees.
It was the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall for me, and I was SOOOOOO bored. My experience became a struggle to keep myself entertained for an hour or two.

*Daydream. I went on amazing journeys with the power of my imagination!

*Recite entire music albums in my head. Doing the whole thing usually wasted enough time to make it through a Sunday talk.

*Stare at the carpet. 'A well made carpet that, though that hair floating around on it was annoying me. Still, maybe I should make a game of who it belonged to.'

*Rearrange the letters of the yearly spiritual banner near the stage to create new exciting words!

*See if I could count a minute in my head exactly, then check the clock to see how close I was.

*Pick a number at random and see if I could get it to match with the number of a verse or chapter he'd say next.
The trouble started with Church Youth meetings. I was 6 years old and it was time for me to join "Kinderkrans" - the Church's early-bird indoctrination sessions. I found someone's description of these meetings here. Anyway, my mom dropped me off, I had a horrible time and afterwards I waited outside for my mom. I saw her car coming and...drive right past me. My mother had forgotten about me! She drove out to a neighbouring farm and left me there, on the sidewalk. Needless to say, I didn't go back to Kinderkrans!

Dutch Reformed Church sucked. Long, boring sermons, uncomfortable pews. All the hymns sounded the same. I regret all the time I wasted there, when I could've been playing in the garden or swimming instead.

The Apostolic Faith Mission Church was both hilarious and frightening. I entered this one around the age of 7. Full-on crazy. Speaking in tongues, laying on of hands, the whole shebang. It was scary, because I didn't understand why God was causing people to pass out in the aisles. My father helped build an indoor pool/bath used for baptising adults. Always entertaining to watch them dunk the grown-ups. These are the people who, when I was delirious with tick-fever, formed a circle around me and tried to pray me better.

The last one I tried wasn't quite so extreme. However, there was an ancient lady there, who could know all your sins by looking at you, so they whispered to me. I was a teenager and had recently become sexually active, which was pretty much the worst sin I could commit, and that old lady KNEW! I cried so much that day :/

I had some horrible experiences in Sunday School. In one church, I was told to either show up every Sunday or fail the year, but I visited my granny in another town every second Sunday. So basically they made me choose between Gran and God. I chose my gran. In another church I was asked not to return, because I had held my boyfriend's hand in church.

And on top of all of that, every week they took my money for purposes never made clear to me. I quit going to church when I was 16. It was pretty much the biggest fight I ever had with my mother, but after sending me from one church to another trying to find a "fit", I just refused. I think I went to more churches than anyone else I know. We lived in Grahamstown for a while, that tiny town had 52 churches back when we lived there!
When I was a Catholic I always found church to be a boring waste of time. I much rather wanted to be outside playing or watching TV. I still believed then, but still didn't want to go. A couple years ago I went to a friends Methodist church to listen to her music ministries group. She didn't know I was an Atheist yet... It was boring as well and I did a lot of laughing to myself over what was said. The band's music was nice. Didn't relate with their message, but it had a pleasing sound.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Forum

Are homophobes really phobic?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Unseen 19 minutes ago. 22 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com