Today, on his visit to the UK, Pope Benedict XVI stated the following:

“We can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews.

“As we reflect on the sobering lessons of the atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of
man and of society,”

“May it [Britain] always maintain its respect for those traditional values and cultural expressions that more aggressive forms of secularism no longer value or even tolerate,”

Great, so... Atheism leads to Nazi-like tendencies? OK, little boy molesters.

Hitler wasn't even an atheist. In fact, didn't he claim to have "eradicated Atheism from the face of the earth"? Stalin was, in fact, an atheist. Sometimes bad people do have good ideas.

But that the Pope himself would say such things, make such comparisons, shows only how ignorant he is on what atheism is truly about. Talk about disgusting. I find Atheists to be more moral humans than most religious people.

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh and PS:

This German-born Pope (Pius.. what number is he?) was originally a member of the Nazi reserve youth when he was young.

Note as well, Adolf Hitler has christian backgrounds, and never proclaim himself as an atheist.

Note as well, that the Vatican, after the defeat of the Axis during world war II, provided sanctuary to the majority of the Nazis fleeing retribution from allies' tribunal court on War Crimes.
Hitler actually claimed to be a Catholic, and equated atheists with jews.
I did not know that, thank you.
It seemed to me hearing his address that he bigged up the UK Christians and tells us if you are a good Christian you will be a force for good in the world and that by contrast if you are godless the result will be Nazi Germany. Aside from the fact that many god fearing people were involved in the atrocities and that many godless people do good, this is an expression of two extremes to make the point that everyday people are better with God. It makes no sense and it frustrates me that someone looked up to by so many; either is purposely trying to pull the wool over people's eyes or is irresponsible in not getting a decent speech write.

He claims that Atheists suffer from not having a clear vision of man and society and have a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny”. If the Pope has a long view that the destiny of our souls is most important, than it might explain his irresponsibility with humans based on his belief that their souls are more important than their bodies. To me this value system is dangerous to humanity.

I am so angered that our leaders had to sit solemnly and listen to this nonsense then respectfully applaud it out of some misplaced respect for a man in a silly hat. When will it become acceptable to judge a person by their words and actions and not their position in society?
My energy is not for any of the leaders in particular, but for the social and political situation that exists. I feel these leaders are under social and political pressure to attend to this 'dignitary' and it annoys me. If they were to make a statement they would upset many Catholics who would never get the point of why they chose to make the statement. I wonder how we could ever get to a situation where what a person says or does is judged over their position. How outrageous would his statements need to be before it was acceptable to stand up and say hang on a minute?
That would be rather awesome, imagine if the Queen had got up and said 'Pardon me but one thinks that is a load of BS'. We could perhaps have done away with the monarchy and the Pope in one blow. :D

At least respected speakers are able to stand up and have a say in the media so we are moving forward.
that is how they view us all. Not believing in God or having a false God means you are the scum of the earth. You can not have morals or value life in any way. It's a way of brainwashing the masses into conforming or staying in religions light as they call it.
The Catholic League went even further.

"The pope did not go far enough. Radical atheists like the British Humanist Association should apologize for Hitler. But they should not stop there. They also need to issue an apology for the 67 million innocent men, women and children murdered under Stalin, and the 77 million innocent Chinese killed by Mao. Hitler, Stalin and Mao were all driven by a radical atheism, a militant and fundamentally dogmatic brand of secular extremism. It was this anti-religious impulse that allowed them to become mass murderers. By contrast, a grand total of 1,394 were killed during the 250 years of the Inquisition, most all of whom were murdered by secular authorities.

Why should atheists today apologize for the crimes of others? At one level, it makes no sense: apologies should only be given by the guilty. But on the other hand, since the fanatically anti-Catholic secularists in Britain, and elsewhere, demand that the pope—who is entirely innocent of any misconduct—apologize for the sins of others, let the atheists take some of their own medicine and start apologizing for all the crimes committed in their name. It might prove alembic."

Catholic League Phone Number is 212-371-3191. Give them a call and tell them what you think. I did.
I have no words to respond to this.

Yet.
Isn't Pol Pot usually included in that fallacy? Well, they can take it to the Pope of my atheism, and she can make of it what she wants.
I went and left some feedback for the Catholic League. I told them I'd apologise for Stalin if they apologised for Hitler. Can't see it happening so I think I'm safe.
I love it, whenever I think of the Catholic League all I can picture their office to look like is Bill Donohue and a fax machine. It never ceases to bring me the lolz

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service