Seeing as the reality is that our future will begin to (likely) reveal more women like Hayat Boumeddiene who become “accomplices” of terrorism, one thing is very pressing on my mind. How are we going to handle these situations? Are we going to treat them just as we do the men? Or will there be some understanding that they are perhaps coerced into these acts by the men they think love them?

This story is unfolding before my eyes as I struggle to reconcile a lot of confusion inside myself. Just earlier today as I sat in my therapist’s office, I told her how my own family says that I am “at fault” for many things that happened to me because I “went along with it.”….Initially I was taken as a 15 year old girl, and now I’m starting to realize that (I think) I have stockholm syndrome. So with all of that being said, I will admit up front that perhaps my view of what’s going on is bias, skewed, distorted, confused, contorted, or even just plain wrong. But on the other hand I’ve lived within the world of domestic violence long enough to know that women do really really stupid things for the men they love. I’ve also witnessed as a Correction’s Officer, women get locked up due to acts that were initially instigated by their boyfriends/husbands. Not to say the woman wasn’t at fault – she was. But to say that perhaps her guilt is lessened because of the fact that she is a victim too, whether she knows it or not…

I have not been involved in anything to this large scale, but I will admit that I have broken the law to do what a man told me, because I loved him. I don’t know if they would be considered things that are a “big deal.” I’ve never hurt anyone. I would do things like sneak into bars with him when I was underage (still a minor.) He coached me on how to act older so we got away with it. I snuck in small little things when he was in prison. Things that could be handed off easily during visitation by the vending machines. Nothing harmful…but it would have still gotten me in BIG trouble if I had gotten caught. So I totally….TOTALLY understand how women can get sucked in to doing things they wouldn’t normally do simply because the man they love (or shall I say the man they THINK they love) is telling them to do so.

So my position is that with the possibility of female terrorist becoming part of the future, I advocate that they be treated differently. I advocate that they be treated as victims of domestic violence.  Again….I may be totally wrong in suggesting that, but somehow I cannot help but shake off the feeling that she was simply doing what her “man” told her to do. She needs protection, and help. Professional help.

What do you think we should do about female terrorists? Do they deserve to be treated as victims of abuse? After all, women in the Muslim world don’t have a say or a vote in a lot of things anyway. I think they need to be protected. What do you think?

Views: 560

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Treat all terrorist the same... with a bullet between the eyes. We do NOT need this type of "human" on our planet. We have enough problems without trying to be "sensitive" about someone who is out to kill others simply because they don't support the terrorist warped illusions.

I also do not buy into the belief that if someone can be talked into strapping a bomb on their chest then walking into a public place to dedonate it but is caught before the bomb goes off that they can be "saved" and returned to normal life. Sounds like a religous angle to me.

@Tim
RE: Treat all terrorist the same... with a bullet between the eyes. We do NOT need this type of "human" on our planet.

Do you not see the fact that your attitude is EXACTLY what their attitude towards us is? Why is your desire to kill them more valid than their desire to kill us?

Killing solves no problems in the long run. Period.

Killing solves no problems in the long run. Period.

Where did you get that stuff? You never heard about WW2? What would your life be like if your capital was Berlin or Tokyo and not Washington D.C.? You think a dead rapist can rise from the dead to rape again?

Despite the punctuation you gave your statement, if it's taken at face value, you're just factually wrong.

I didn't see unseen's comment or I wouldn't have done mine...  

@Unseen: You are distorting my words.

Despite the punctuation you gave your statement, if it's taken at face value, you're just factually wrong.

That's why the punctuation was there Unseen. I'm not sure what you mean by "face value" you'll have to tell me what YOU think that I meant. I certainly wasn't addressing war, I was addressing Tim's attitude. I suppose if you're jumping on board to defend it perhaps you can explain to me how the long term problem of prejudice was solved in our world by our victory in WWII.

Belle said,

"Do you not see the fact that your attitude is EXACTLY what their attitude towards us is? Why is your desire to kill them more valid than their desire to kill us?

Killing solves no problems in the long run. Period."

Belle..

Your attitude is why women are never going to be in charge of wars.  

This type thinking led to the biggest national collaboration spearheaded by well intentioned women led to one of the most shortsighted and far reaching disasters in US history whose anniversary is today.

Killing solves no problems in the long run? Period?

70 years ago 4 million soldiers from free nations died killing 6.5 million to restore freedom to Europe, and preserve it in the rest of the world from an evil that has never been equaled before Islam gave birth to a force just as ruthless. 

Can you please wrap your head around the reality that they are prepared to kill every man woman and child in the free world to spread their ideology? 

And what do you want to do?  Invite them to all sit down and listen to folk music and 'just be friends'???? 

This is not a matter of Tim starting shit with anyone.... people like me and Tim and loads of others would really like to hang out, listen to folk music and just be friends but we know it's not going to happen with people whose only goal in life is to kill people like us. 

If you are so danged convinced killing solves no problems in the long run period I bet we in TA can take up a collection to send you to the middle east so you can go preach your message to the people doing all the killing and MAYBE if they don't cut your head off --- you can save people like me and Tim and others from having to put our lives on the line to defend the freedoms of every person in hits nation and few others... 

Belle said,

"Do you not see the fact that your attitude is EXACTLY what their attitude towards us is? Why is your desire to kill them more valid than their desire to kill us?

Killing solves no problems in the long run. Period."

Belle..

I wasn't addressing war. Where did you see me address war? @Unseen and @Virgil??? We're not discussing war at all on this thread. I was asking Tim to defend his position (to which I'm still waiting for an answer) but his position did not make any mention of war. You need to take a step back and re-examine your misogynistic views of women as well.  

I'm sorry Virgil but you're reacting very emotionally to my words and I do not believe you even understand them. It does however show that your underlying view of women's capabilities is severely distorted.

Belle..

Wars weren't the issue or the subject of that sentence.  If I'd said Your attitude is why women are never going to be in charge of ___(fill in the blank)___ it might have been better.  You called Tom out on his attitude for his opinion ... I called you on yours.

)

You said empirically stated, "Killing solves no problem in the long run. Period." Unseen and I both independently came up with the same example to dispute that statement...  WWII.   I could have named off about 20 other wars but you wouldn't have known much about them.

)

I can't stop you from believing I've reacted emotionally to your words.  I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you I understood them any better or worse than anyone else who read them. And as far as any underlying distorted view I might have of women's capabilities... all I can say it I didn't have one before I sat down and read 2 comments in here that made me wonder about the capabilities of women.

RE: You said empirically stated, "Killing solves no problem in the long run. Period." Unseen and I both independently came up with the same example to dispute that statement...  WWII.   I could have named off about 20 other wars but you wouldn't have known much about them.

Ok Virgil, I'll pose the same question to you that I posed to Unseen. I believe you both used WWII as an example because it was a blaring example of a clear victory over a regime that sought to exterminate a group of people based on an underlying attitude of supremacy. So my question to you is this:

Explain to me how our victory in WWII has solved those very problems in our world in the long run?

I stand by my words until you can give me ONE (just one) example of a time when killing another human being led to a viable, sustainable, equitable, just, solution that has made our world a better place because of it. Just because we have won wars, does not mean that the underlying problems that caused the wars ever gets addressed, it only means that a balance of power gets shifted, and economic changes are made, but the human rights issues are not solved because of it.
I guess each case should be dealt with according to the circumstances, but all in all I think they should be treated just like their male counterparts. If you blow up a building or shoot up a school I don't see any reason why you should get treated differently from someone who did the same thing just because you happen to be a woman.

Belle Said,

• "I think we have to remember they are people like you and me, and their motivations are the same as ours. Survival. It's just that their means of surviving is severely warped. But they are no different than you and me. They live what they know, and they make choices with the information that they have at the time."

They are not people like you and me. 

Their motivations are not yours or mine.

They are different from us.

Belle on other threads I really did my best to try to explain what I've learned from studying Islam and their culture and learned from Muslims who have escaped from their culture.  I know you read some of it but it's like none of that made it to memory or you 86ed it.   

You cannot imagine how wrong you are about that.  You are building up this imaginary set of people in your head who DO NOT EXIST.  I know that at least 5 times in here I've said one of the worst things westerners do is project western values on Islamic issues or look at Islamic issues and interpret them to fit your western mind.  STOP! PLEASE STOP!  hahahaha!

@Virgil....

I said,

"I think we have to rememberthey are people like you and me, andtheir motivations are the same as ours. Survival."

You said:

"I think we have to remember they are people like you and me, and their motivations are the same as ours. Survival. It's just that their means of surviving is severely warped. But they are no different than you and me. They live what they know, and they make choices with the information that they have at the time."

You said:

You cannot imagine how wrong you are about that.  You are building up this imaginary set of people in your head who DO NOT EXIST.  

I noticed you conveniently underlined and bolded the parts you chose and left the rest alone to construct your own ideas of what you think I meant. It's official Virgil. Let me be the first to congratulate you for winning the cherry picking award for today :)

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service