Seeing as the reality is that our future will begin to (likely) reveal more women like Hayat Boumeddiene who become “accomplices” of terrorism, one thing is very pressing on my mind. How are we going to handle these situations? Are we going to treat them just as we do the men? Or will there be some understanding that they are perhaps coerced into these acts by the men they think love them?

This story is unfolding before my eyes as I struggle to reconcile a lot of confusion inside myself. Just earlier today as I sat in my therapist’s office, I told her how my own family says that I am “at fault” for many things that happened to me because I “went along with it.”….Initially I was taken as a 15 year old girl, and now I’m starting to realize that (I think) I have stockholm syndrome. So with all of that being said, I will admit up front that perhaps my view of what’s going on is bias, skewed, distorted, confused, contorted, or even just plain wrong. But on the other hand I’ve lived within the world of domestic violence long enough to know that women do really really stupid things for the men they love. I’ve also witnessed as a Correction’s Officer, women get locked up due to acts that were initially instigated by their boyfriends/husbands. Not to say the woman wasn’t at fault – she was. But to say that perhaps her guilt is lessened because of the fact that she is a victim too, whether she knows it or not…

I have not been involved in anything to this large scale, but I will admit that I have broken the law to do what a man told me, because I loved him. I don’t know if they would be considered things that are a “big deal.” I’ve never hurt anyone. I would do things like sneak into bars with him when I was underage (still a minor.) He coached me on how to act older so we got away with it. I snuck in small little things when he was in prison. Things that could be handed off easily during visitation by the vending machines. Nothing harmful…but it would have still gotten me in BIG trouble if I had gotten caught. So I totally….TOTALLY understand how women can get sucked in to doing things they wouldn’t normally do simply because the man they love (or shall I say the man they THINK they love) is telling them to do so.

So my position is that with the possibility of female terrorist becoming part of the future, I advocate that they be treated differently. I advocate that they be treated as victims of domestic violence.  Again….I may be totally wrong in suggesting that, but somehow I cannot help but shake off the feeling that she was simply doing what her “man” told her to do. She needs protection, and help. Professional help.

What do you think we should do about female terrorists? Do they deserve to be treated as victims of abuse? After all, women in the Muslim world don’t have a say or a vote in a lot of things anyway. I think they need to be protected. What do you think?

Views: 598

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Belle, I'd recommend a great book called "Just war theory" by Michael Waltzer. He covers the roll of civilians, women and children in war and terrorism as well as coerced participation. I don't agree with everything he said but if you had to propose a just war theory I'd more or less use his framework and many of his analyses of typical war problems.

Thank you so much Davis! I'll check it out...you know I'm taking all of these classes related to sustainability, energy, water quality, etc...but....I seem to spend most of my free time delving into these types of issues. Think another career shift is in order! Lol!!!! I hesitate to get back in to criminology.....I worry that I won't be able to handle the threats and danger now that I have a son...I want to stay "safe." but the truth is I feel "at home" amongst the most dangerous people. I think my PTSD came in part from my time working as a CO, but those skills are still there. I would LOVE to start the moving parts to make what I "say" actually happen....do I dare go there???? I dunno.

Perhaps you should just become immortal and then you can try out a whole slew of different careers. I honestly wish I had 50 more years and that I could do 10 masters degrees and 3 PhDs :)

Hahaha yep, exactly! So much to learn....so little time :)

The woman in question was residing in France where the culture treats women with equal respect AFAIK. If someone living in a western country such as France is aware of terrorist plots in the making they hold an obligation to report to the authorities. Otherwise blood is on there hands to a certain degree. It is also necessary for the government to provide protection/relocation to those individuals, regardless of sex. It is an entirely different matter in the Middle East.

RE: If someone living in a western country such as France is aware of terrorist plots in the making they hold an obligation to report to the authorities. Otherwise blood is on there hands to a certain degree.

I agree. I am not suggesting that
Hayat Boumeddiene is innocent.

I'm afraid it's the part of the same old "young women seem to like bad boys" phenomenon. One finds some young women in particular attracted to the worst sorts seemingly because it makes their love lives more interesting than taking on a nice boring guy to couch potato with. This is particularly true of the females who have adopted a contrarian or antiauthoritarian lifestyleWe see it in gangs, for example, where many of the girls (perhaps not all) are with guys quite voluntarily. 

Been there, done that, got the tshirt....no more.

Yeah, reckon ya gotta treat them like men or it's sexist. Case by case basis, by the factors, regardless of gender.

That said, I happen to know that if you're a woman and you're married to a Muslim fundamentalist, you're property, and you yourself may be under the impression that you're property, so these are factors courts can consider. On the ground though, if she's a threat, you'd traditionally have to drop her. Though there are some really interesting technologies that could change that. Blinding, seizure-inducing lasers, totally debilitating heat waves, they use acoustics on pirates now... I digress.

I've intentionally avoided commenting until now.

The whole idea of injecting a western feminist agenda into the discussion about Islam is mind boggling to me.

Islam is dependent on brainwashing.  From birth every man woman and child exposed to it is indoctrinated, brainwashed, coerced, intimidated and bullied into submitting to an ideology who's name translates as SUBMISSION.  People who convert to Islam are about the equivalent of unpopular kids in high school seeking acceptance into a group.  If you've ever been around someone who's a recent convert to fundamentalist christianity you might have an idea of blindly and completely new converts into islam embrace the the ideology and are willing to go to extremes to prove they are part of the group.

H.F.S. !!!!  Have you not seen the video that's just been i the news of a boy about 10 shooting two supposed Russian spies in their heads while his dad looks on with pride????  The boy is actually enjoying killing the guys!!!!!  It's no different for women OR men indoctrinated into Islam.  They are all victims of Islam  --- through western perspectives --- but you will NEVER convince them of that until they are beaten into submission to a greater force than Islam.   They will not give up.  They will not change and mothers and fathers will happily send their babies with bombs if they are too young to hold kalashnikovs.  When they run out of their kids they'll kill the parents of other kids in order to make martyrs out of them!!!!

All of this lifetime channel drama about the women being brainwashed by the men is one more example of projecting western interpretations onto situations where they do not apply. 

I have implored people to get to know Islam from the inside in order to understand that it has nothing in common with western civilization.  NOTHING!  

There's no rational way to talk about women who want to kill infidels, who want to marry men who kills infidels and teach their kids to kill infidels as being similar to misunderstood soccer moms or a  single mothers cleaning up their past mistakes while trying to go to night school.

And.....  Belle, no offense intended with this, but if you are with a therapist now, you need to change to one who practices full blown Cognitive Behavioral Therapy  or Rational Emotive Therapy to put you on a fast track towards recovery from your trauma.  I have no doubt that most of the members in TA have problems as serious as yours or even more serious yet they do not inject them into every or most or even some of the topics they start or comment on.  Here's The Martyr Victim Complex Described

I am only saying this to help you.  Honest.  

I really makes me hurt for you to see you carrying your hurt around the way you do.  I come on line to not have to deal with mine.  A painful mangled hand with three fingers, PTSD, and an inherited disease that --- IF I make it eight more years to age 35 without organ failure or cancer I will have beaten the odds.  I'm in a relationship with a danged good DPsy. I believe you told me once you're in the Seattle area.   If you want I will get him to look up therapists in your area and give some recommendations.   

RE: Islam is dependent on brainwashing.  From birth every man woman and child exposed to it is indoctrinated, brainwashed, coerced, intimidated and bullied into submitting to an ideology who's name translates as SUBMISSION.  People who convert to Islam are about the equivalent of unpopular kids in high school seeking acceptance into a group.  If you've ever been around someone who's a recent convert to fundamentalist christianity you might have an idea of blindly and completely new converts into islam embrace the the ideology and are willing to go to extremes to prove they are part of the group.

I agree

RE: They are all victims of Islam  --- through western perspectives --- but you will NEVER convince them of that until they are beaten into submission to a greater force than Islam.   They will not give up.  They will not change and mothers and fathers will happily send their babies with bombs if they are too young to hold kalashnikovs.  When they run out of their kids they'll kill the parents of other kids in order to make martyrs out of them!!!!

This is why I suggest we treat them similar to gang members. They think ExACTLY the same.

RE: All of this lifetime channel drama about the women being brainwashed by the men is one more example of projecting western interpretations onto situations where they do not apply. 

How so?

RE: I have implored people to get to know Islam from the inside in order to understand that it has nothing in common with western civilization.  NOTHING!  

That is exactly my point! Did you read any of my other posts on the thread addressing this? Or just the discussion opener?....

RE: There's no rational way to talk about women who want to kill infidels, who want to marry men who kills infidels and teach their kids to kill infidels as being similar to misunderstood soccer moms or a  single mothers cleaning up their past mistakes while trying to go to night school.

I think we have to remember they are people like you and me, and their motivations are the same as ours. Survival. It's just that their means of surviving is severely warped. But they are no different than you and me. They live what they know, and they make choices with the information that they have at the time. 

RE:  I have no doubt that most of the members in TA have problems as serious as yours or even more serious yet they do not inject them into every or most or even some of the topics they start or comment on.   

Point taken. 

RE...  A painful mangled hand with three fingers, PTSD, and an inherited disease that --- IF I make it eight more years to age 35 without organ failure or cancer I will have beaten the odds.

Virgil I'm so sorry to hear that :'( ...I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm here for you. I created a group on here titled "Post Traumatic Stress Support and Recovery"...if you ever need a place to "vent" and be heard. Although you may not need or want to, it's there....

RE:.....  I'm in a relationship with a danged good DPsy. I believe you told me once you're in the Seattle area.   If you want I will get him to look up therapists in your area and give some recommendations.  

Sure, I'm open to suggestions. I am doing EMDR which is the best treatment for PTSD....but not opposed to a different perspective.
@Virgil, I read up on that link you provided...,that's definitely not me, but I understand what you are getting at.

I suppose like anything there needs to be a balance. I provide my personal experiences with an intention to describe what I am trying to say, but perhaps I need to refrain from it and see these posts as more "technical writing" removing the "pathos" lol. I'll work on it. I almost always write about topics that I myself can relate to making it hard NOT to interject my experiences. And when I post on "women's issues" (like this one) I provide a background so that it shows I RELATE to the subject. I do see your point though that perhaps I should leave my personal experiences out of it.

Maybe I will surprise you ;)

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service