I am having an online discussion with a born-again "follower of Christ" lady who says that the fact that I have so many Christians in my life challenging my atheism means that the Lord is courting me.  My response has been that I think it is because I am an outspoken atheist and the issue is very important to me, so I tend to give Christians around me reason to talk to me about it.  

What should I say to her about why this issue is so important to me without her twisting it around so that it seems I am just confused and seeking Jesus but don't know it?  

BTW, I think she thinks she is helping me to find Jesus, but she's not.  I am basically studying her.  the problem is that I can see how people can be taken in by her message.  

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

True That^^^

I wonder if I said, "OK, I'm convinced." if that would satisfy her?  I already know the answer though.  She'd try to advise me on how to build my faith (ie allow myself to be brainwashed.)  

I won't say that though.  : )

Oh, I could fake it very easily, cause I know exactly what to say, and how to say it, since I was in it for my pre-teen years - and heavily. I even worked a "Prayer Line" when I was in seventh grade, right before I realized it was all BS, and I was lying to myself to fit in.

And I bet, if you thought about it, you could too - not that you'd want to. Be who you are, proudly, and unabashedly.

BTW, I responded to this (it's on page 5) before I read the responses. I like to do that when I first respond, because that way my response isn't influenced.

I did wonder for a long time, though - if there was a heaven, would all the people I (supposedly) "saved" on the phone get in, if I weren't a xian? I knew there was no such place, but it was a fun exercise to try to figure out. ;)

Yes I could, but not for long.  I am glad I don't have to.

Tell her that you are concerned about religion for the same reason that a doctor is concerned about cancer.

Nice analogy.

Good ideas.  These "followers of Christ" are a special breed of believers.  They stay away from the word Christian because of the bad rap Christianity has.  Isn't that ironic?  

What this lady wants to do is engage me in a debate and convert me.  I know it is an exercise in futility to debate her point by point because she is so far over the top.  I'll give her this though, she's smart and she knows her stuff.  I can see how she could convince someone who isn't knowledgeable or is on the fence.  I'm not on the fence though, and she's smart but not quite smart enough to get me to buy what's she's peddling.

Did you know that many of the followers of him believed the second coming would arrive within their lifetime and nearly 2,000 years later, people are still waiting? Hello! I don't think he's coming!

If you choose some point(s) like this to hit her up on, be sure to be armed with all relevant facts. Memorize the context, the words, and what book/chapter/verse they are found in. Know what excuses apologists have made and why they are wrong, so you can discard her replies with ease, such that she realizes she can't defend the biblical passage. Also, know what ancient christian members believed in regards to that topic, what controversies existed, what if anything did the bishops or apologists of the time have to say, etc... and be able to name some names and/or dates.

For that particular false prophecy, this video series if very useful:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfMTH#p/c/6B335B11F21034A2/1/5T_Vsl9tlko

Yes!  That ought to bring her brain to a screeching halt.

Her brain isn't going that fast in the first place,  the halt wouldn't be screeching it would be more of a slow coast until it tips over

Now I've got that song in my head!

Nah, the die-hards as so brainwashed that nothing challenges their Suspension of Disbelief. She will simply dismiss your counters as "the devil trying to lead her away from the lord!"

But it doesn't hurt to try ;)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service