I know many of you have seen Glenn Beck on Fox and are as sickened by the wacked-out message he is sending.  He claims that he is just putting two and two together and reading the signs on the wall. Personally, I think he is mixing apples with oranges and forcing people to eat fruit salad.  Whether he is identifiying a problem we have in the US with religious tension, or stirring up said tension himself, he is insinuating - daily- that "the time has come", that "the prefect storm is arrising".  He speaks not just of political unrest, but of Muslims bringing a caliphate to America, and We The People standing firm with the religion of our Founding Fathers (ha), and doing all things to the glory of God... yada yada yada.

Every other day or so, I catch about 5 minutes of his show while I am switching channels.  Yesterday, he was telling people -- once again -- to stockpile food, and to 'look around and know who your friends are'  while raising his eyebrows above his glasses.  He really frightens me and I don't even believe any of his jumbled, psychotic crap.  What scares me the most, is that I know tons of people who do.  I think that there are so many deluded Christians out there who have watched a little to much reality TV, read every book in the Left Behind Series, and played soooooooooo many video games, that they can't wait for the End Of The World to begin so they can 'kill people for Jesus'! 

And all this got me to thinking: What if this storyline plays out? Either way.. because he saw it coming, or he and the Fear-Mongers stirred it into action? 

How does a small atheist family in the middle of the Bible Belt defend itself? (Please don't advise me to stockpile weapons or join a compound.)

How will I maintain my beliefs without being targeted by my neighbors?

Where would you go to stay safe and when? 

How can the Atheist community do something of good measure to stop the religious people of the US before they do something stupid?  This is my real hope.....  Although I think Christians would see any uprising by Atheists as an attempt to wipe out Christianity and contribute to bringing about the end of the world.  

Or am I just playing into the whole delusion?

Any thoughts a welcome.

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you see trucks with angry man entering your town, there is still time to move, after that sucks to be an American.

I am just as afraid of Christians with pipebombs as I am of Muslims flying planes into buildings. 

For most immigrants, it takes a few generations to assimilate. We will see honor killings, rapes and horrible crimes that happen when cultures clash as they are now. 

But you know what? 

Those are just growing pains. 

In a few decades, the decedents of even the most fanatical Muslims will settle into a routine of working 8 hours a day to pay their house payments and car payments and then coming home to stare at the TV for the rest of the night. Their birthrates will go down, their education will go up, and they will just become...American. 

So what's the excuse for the Limbaugh and Beck loving crowd?

Their ancestors have been here for quite long enough, right? 

Well, they are facing a culture clash, too.

For a long time our country was run by nothing but rich white men. That is the life they are used to and the future they were promised. 

Suddenly that isn't the case anymore. Now we've got a country full of people suffering from "Who Moved my Cheese" syndrome. 

I married a Brit, so running away to Scotland is my back up plan. 

I would suggest the best thing to do if you are a young atheist worried for the future is to get a good education in a field that has universal demand. Become a nurse or work in another skilled trade. If America becomes unbearable, there are plenty of other countries that will welcome you with open arms. 

I hear New Zealand is nice this time of year. :)

Thank you for all your thoughts.

I think my main concern is this.  If you have two opposing teams.....One that is organized/prepared  and one that is not, the one that is organized will beat one that is unprepared virtually every time.  So we happen to have truth on our side, but that does not trump coersion or any other number of other tactics. Look at history.  I'm not saying that we need to plan physical retaliation. I'm a pacifist myself.  What I do think we need is national organization and strategy.  Maybe I am unaware of such efforts. If you know of something like this, please enlighten me. I would like to participate, and I would sleep better at night. = )

Like a super secret atheist mass exodus plan?

That would be nice.  If only there were someplace to go. ; }

Unfortunately it'll be a few centuries before Venus will be habitable.

That's it. I'm starting a commune!

Did I tell you we started our home-brew set up? We ran a full tubes up from the kegs in the garage up to a homemade tap in the dining room. 

I can also grow pretty much anything that's plant matter, so I can at least feed the vegetarians. We might have to barter with the neighbors for meat though. 

Oh. I can fish and spearfish.....

We are like 75% self sufficient. Add in a few other handy members, and I bet we could literally go create our own society on an island somewhere. 

Will there be free love? 
Ah, love is never free, Reggie, never free...

You always pay for it, mate. 

One way or another. 

There's always Sweden... 90% or so atheist.
Again, Kristin, just to try to reassure you a bit, really, there isn't going to be in this country any organized, violent purging of the nonbelievers, heretics, and followers of false creeds by some theocratic force.  Not gonna happen.  But if, living where you are now, you feel beset by an unshakeable anxiety about such a debacle, you might consider making a move to more a hospitable part of the world (or the country) fairly soon--just to get out from under that sense of oppression.  I would recommend Vermont (or any part of New England, really), a decidedly live-and-let-live kind of place--a fine place to raise a family, too.  Plenty of other locales would recommend themselves as well.

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 8 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 17 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service