I know many of you have seen Glenn Beck on Fox and are as sickened by the wacked-out message he is sending.  He claims that he is just putting two and two together and reading the signs on the wall. Personally, I think he is mixing apples with oranges and forcing people to eat fruit salad.  Whether he is identifiying a problem we have in the US with religious tension, or stirring up said tension himself, he is insinuating - daily- that "the time has come", that "the prefect storm is arrising".  He speaks not just of political unrest, but of Muslims bringing a caliphate to America, and We The People standing firm with the religion of our Founding Fathers (ha), and doing all things to the glory of God... yada yada yada.

Every other day or so, I catch about 5 minutes of his show while I am switching channels.  Yesterday, he was telling people -- once again -- to stockpile food, and to 'look around and know who your friends are'  while raising his eyebrows above his glasses.  He really frightens me and I don't even believe any of his jumbled, psychotic crap.  What scares me the most, is that I know tons of people who do.  I think that there are so many deluded Christians out there who have watched a little to much reality TV, read every book in the Left Behind Series, and played soooooooooo many video games, that they can't wait for the End Of The World to begin so they can 'kill people for Jesus'! 

And all this got me to thinking: What if this storyline plays out? Either way.. because he saw it coming, or he and the Fear-Mongers stirred it into action? 

How does a small atheist family in the middle of the Bible Belt defend itself? (Please don't advise me to stockpile weapons or join a compound.)

How will I maintain my beliefs without being targeted by my neighbors?

Where would you go to stay safe and when? 

How can the Atheist community do something of good measure to stop the religious people of the US before they do something stupid?  This is my real hope.....  Although I think Christians would see any uprising by Atheists as an attempt to wipe out Christianity and contribute to bringing about the end of the world.  

Or am I just playing into the whole delusion?

Any thoughts a welcome.

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Reggie. I say what I like! You must of course take whatever action you deem fit. If I am unwelcome on the website then feel free to delete my membership or ask whosoever you like to do so on your behalf or on behalf of the people who are offended by whatever I have to say, otherwise leave me alone.

I come to the website occasionally to read this and that, but I comment infrequently, so there will be no great loss to the community, and no loss to me whatsoever if you or the owners ban me from here. I am fully self-sufficient and need no support in maintaining my Atheism so I will be fine without it.

Let me expand upon Reggie's post.

You are welcome to speak your mind. You are welcome to express your opinions. The point is not that someone might be offended by what you say, the point is that you were being an ass.

I appreciate your open and free expression of disapproval, and I hereby ask that you not be censured by the overly-sensitive for your comment.

Yeah, yeah.  We get it.  You are fiercely independent and fear no man.  As a moderator of this site, part of my duties is to not leave alone snarky people who like to behave poorly simply because they feel entitled to it.  Sorry, but you are free to take your independent bravado anywhere you like, but I will not be leaving you alone to disply bad manners on this site.  I am sure you can refrain from believing in a god without the help of T|A, but I appreciate your reassurances.  If you are too sensitive about requests to be more polite, then perhaps you should not be throwing stones about thin skin.

Since I was able to log on just now, I observe that my account has not been deleted as I suggested you could do Reggie if you were uncomfortable with me speaking freely here on this site. As I said before, I say what I like Reggie, and I cannot tolerate being told what I may not say by a censor like yourself who feels it his high duty to shape the speech of adults here on this site. We are not children here Reggie, so either delete my account or don't bother me with your censorship!

I am not thin skinned at all Reggie as can be seen by my acceptance of people passing along their observations about me here, but I am indeed covetous of my right to free expression. I am open to anyone saying whatever they like to me as long as I am not told what not to say by the likes of yourself or any other vile, anti-free speech censor.

We are all supposedly adults here and not little kids, so why not leave the adults to speak as they see fit. If freethinkers like ourselves MAY NOT speak as we like in a free and open fashion then you and Morgan are merely running a kindergarten here.

You seem to demonstrate a penchant here for carelessly misinterpreting what others have to say.  I said only that your comments and their implications were offensive.  They're offensive to atheists in general insofar as they impugn the even-handed integrity of those who reject all religious dogma.  What's more, I don't claim to have the right not to be offended, but that has no bearing on the offensiveness of your questionable observations.  Do you have any specific examples to offer to support your claim that "many atheists...defend Islam against criticism"?

Don, since the original question apparently has nothing whatsoever to do with Muslims or the Caliphate, or a Religious War, even though all of those were mentioned, but is rather about some issue concerning Glen Beck apparently telling his friends to attack atheists which was not mentioned in the original topic at all, the whole thing is of no interest to me.

I do not know what Glen Beck said on the topic, and was only going by what was said above. I do not watch or listen to Glen Beck at all, so perhaps you all have reason to fear him, but again this matter is no longer of interest to me.

I apparently misinterpreted the meaning of what was originally being asked, and responded with the right answer (in my opinion) to the wrong question. I will bid you all farewell as I am tired of this.

I think you you misunderstood the question and comment. Christians have a horrid record of tolerating any one not like themselves. And which form of Christianity are we to chose from of the hundreds available? More death and destruction as been brought about by similar religions fighting amongst themselves. AKA  world war 1 and 2.  By far, more Muslims have killed each other fighting over territory than they have infidels. Religion is ignorance and superstition at its core and a tolerant and progressive form is not growing anywhere I am aware of. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.
eh a shotgun and machete and im set
If it comes to that, Will, I'm sure you'll also need at least a dozen similarly equipped friends.  For starters.

I have very similar fears but more along the lines of more repressive laws and restrictions to stop the atheist (devil) scourge.  I am also frustrated that there seems to be little focused effort to decrease the influence of the religions of the world.  More just the works of outspoken individuals.

Atheist Blogs with atheists talking with other atheists and accepting others with doubts about religion are great.  I dearly love satire and some of the satirical humor directed at the fundamentalists makes me laugh out loud.  I think it builds cohesion and friendships with other atheists.   I also think the blogs are a fabulous resource with information on so many topics.  I have learned a great deal, much of which I would not have found at the library , bookstores or the new outlets

But if you view the religious zealots as a real concern, now and getting worse, I think we need to have some discussions devoted to the need to do something to decrease belief in gods.  And those that agree can begin to discuss what actions can be undertaken.  I can hear the moans coming.  That sounds a lot like work, or it is not what you are looking for, and so on.   Fine.  But I value what we have now and would like to see it continue and to expand until atheism is a given.  But I too fear that we can lose what we have. 

BTW Robert & Don, where does your faith in your vision of the future come from?  What history leads you to believe that just being strong in your personal beliefs will win the day.  I do not think my belief in democracy alone will stop the Plutocracy that is becoming a reality in the US.  It is going to take some immense efforts by millions of people.

Neither do I believe that just being strong in my atheism / rational thinking / science, etc  will cause religion to wither.  I think organized efforts will be much more effective. In fact, without the efforts of groups like Americans United, ACLU, and many more, we would have already lost many of the freedoms from religion that we still enjoy.

Lets have a show of hands on those that are interested in discussions of how we reduce the threat and influence of the religions.

Brian, I'm with you.

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Ed 18 minutes ago. 6 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 2 hours ago. 44 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 4 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service