As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It almost sounds like the IRS, and the CIA/NSA share the post on the Pearlly Gates.

So let me get this straight, there is a switch in the decision tree for 'God's' sorting software. The switch is fuzzy allowing for a possible arbitrary state of the first bit,'1' or '0'. The worthy VS unworthy is mostly dependent upon some complex, likely multivarient, chain of time sequenced decision points. Any one time step can be the last, so an accumulation of To to Tn values will/could flip the bit, worthy or unworthy. This then creates a delimia, is a long life with greater opportunities for screw ups as likely to keep one out of 'heaven'? Or does a shorter life increase this likelyhood? Is the final decision a simple sum of flip/flops that determine the final 'worthy' or 'unworthy' system state? Can your 'God' keep track of all this, or does he throw up his hands at Tn, and say 'enough is enough, your out of here!'? Watching how real 'pieces of work' continue to exist way past their social utility at times, I expect that 'God' does not keep a very good record, has no idea if you are worthy/unworthy/ naugthy/nice, or if the body count has exceeded local replacement!

As long as you stay out of the deep details of 'God's' decisions, you can keep all happy, oblivious, and forth right in your true believer state.

I know, wondering about the 'mind of God' could yield some really sad nuttyness, but if 'God' makes sense, should we not atleast know what the program is?    

You know this fellowship with God thing, this "Hell is separation from God"...remind me where in The Bible is that laid out?

Yep, that is what the christians say.  Presumably if Hitler experiened a conversion before he died, he is now in heaven.

Don't forget that all the Jews went to Hell anyway.

It seems to me that if you believe Buddhism you'll behave like a Buddhist and be a saved Buddhist. What's the difference?

Well, Catholics and the Orthodox Churches (also Christians) place emphasis on acts and relatively less on being saved by faith alone.

As for Buddhism, no, it's not about being "like the Buddha" so much as achieving his understanding. In your world, a person becomes saved when they understand that all they need is faith. Same thing.

It stands the test of truth and truth by its very nature is exclusive. All religions are not  the same and when there are contradictions, truth must win.

@Dave Stallworth

What stands the test of truth?  The bible says that Jesus was the son of Yahweh, but then it suggests that he IS Yahweh, and it also calls him the son of man over and over.  If Yahweh sent is only `son` to give his life for humans - then why didn`t Jesus give his life?  He is claimed to be risen, not dead.  Also, what of the other sons of Yahweh in Genesis 6:2?  Is the bible lying?

You can`t be your own son and you can`t be dead if you are risen - so many contradictions that Christianity must be discarded out of hand.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
-- Steven H. Roberts--

Everyone in the world is an infidel to someone else.

For Muslims it's: "Are you aware that Muhammad married and basically raped a 9 year old girl?"

I have never heard a Christian claim that god wrote the bible at the beginning of time. I'm not sure where you got that from. Most Christians think that the first five books of the bible were written by Moses. Even though they were actually written by numerous people. They see the bible as written by man but inspired by the holy spirit.

One of my favorite questions is to  ask them to explain the multiple pagan gods with similar stories to Jesus that existed long before him.

The usual response is either disbelief or the Catholic explanation, the name escapes me right now, that  Satan went back in time and created myths similar to Jesus in order to deceive humans.

If anyone knows the name of the Catholic doctrine that attempst to address all of the gods that are similar to Jesus please let me know. It is on the tip of my tongue and is driving me nuts. 

Pagan gods arose after the Fall. Read Genesis 6 and you will see that it got so bad that God brought the Flood (ample scientific evidence exists of a global Flood). We even see that today with Pagan beliefs like atheism and distortions of Christianity. When Man turns form God, he creates something to fill in the vacuum.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 21 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon