As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Towers - you may not be aware of it, but Isaac Newton, through his calculations (which were incorrect), determined that the motions of the planets were sufficiently erratic, that over time, the entire solar system would be thrown out of whack (to use a technical, scientific term). Being extremely religious himself, Newton concluded that comets and meteors were actually angels, sent by god periodically, to nudge the planets back into proper alignment.

Why is the scale of human suffering that exists on our planet allowed to continue if a being exists that has the power and, more importantly, the willingness to remove it? 

I could think of no credible reason to worship a being so indifferent and malevolent to the plight of so many.

So I have plenty of time then? Interesting.

I think I was 'mostly' catholic for about 4 years, doubtful for 10, mostly humanist for 10, and mostly atheist for 20. For most of my childhood till about 10, I was just lead around by adults, trusting their judgement, but watching them and noticing a growing nuttyness. My doubts came mostly from watching nutty people trying to make a go of it. Only later did I start reading to try and figure out 'why' I was seeing nuttyness. I think most people are so caught up in the culture of 'nuttyness', that they are blind to it. Why I could see it is unclear.

Paul says so much about 'God', but it is doubtful that he has any idea of 'God's thoughts'. I can contrive all kinds of stories about flying horses, UFO's, etc, but I KNOW I am making shit up! Why can't Paul? Maybe from the subculture that Paul comes from, they all pretend to know 'God's thoughts', because they have learned how to construct a sentence with the words and then use them, as if, they refer to an existent object. I don't want to interfer with the creative process of language, but it might be nice to have, IMHO, honesty. It might not even be fair to Paul to suggest that 'God' is not an existent thing, since much of our conversation here seems to about that one issue of 'existence/being' and the limits to that knowing.

So much of the language Paul uses seems emthy to me. Is this because I can see through the pretense of it? After 57 years of life experience, some ugly, some deeply wonderous and awh inspiring, religious language just seems like bombast.

'God loves us..', thats nice!

'All deserve death.', what ever.

I have teased death several times already, what is one more threat? Ok Death, there is the waiting room, find a book to read, and we'll we right with you!

RE: "All deserve death." - Why?

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life"

Apparently God didn't pass high school English. Shouldn't it be "For the wage of sin is death..." or "For the wages of sin are death..."?

Romans? From Paul, the guy who hijacked the christian religion? Give me a break!

If he loves us, why let us suffer?

If you have a child, would you let it suffer and do nothing to help? Then command it to worship you because just the fact that you let it live is enough to prove that you love it?

Come on, man!

And the right question is, what god lets us live at all, and gives us a choice? Which of the 2700+ gods is it? And please explain why that one not the others.

am having a good laugh. guys are creative

What theist believes that the Bible was written 14.5 billion years ago? You are using the most biggest straw man I've ever heard of... ever.

Actually I don't think any of them do. To be honest with you. Until you put the numbers on it. They seem to have the ability to discard or perhaps not even recognise the scientific data.

I feel that's pretty much what they imply with their beliefs.

I find it a fun time explaining that there are believers of some sort gathering the data, not a bunch of god haters and devil work, and the numbers speak for themselves. It's human discovery.

I have asked it that way because it's my understanding that Scientists have guesstimated the universe to be that old...which he apparently created (thus would be the beginning of time)....and Earth to be around 4.5 billion years....which he apparently also created and then another long long time to create man.

I may be a little off with the actual numbers. It's still a long time.

I've heard claims that god wrote the bible in the beginning. Also that he told it to someone who wrote it for him...and various other unsubstantiated claims in my time.

I am 44 and the only atheist I know. My whole life has been spent on this side of the fence. I'm not a convert of any sort

I have questioned everyone of their faith. None have proven their creators' existence.

I don't see why you think I'm the one using a straw man?? I hold zero beliefs.

Atheists think differently I guess. And we all disbelieve in our own way. Still doesn't mean there's a god.

I like to ask them to explain life after death, considering that everything you know, everything that makes you you is recorded in the synapses of the brain. When your brain is dead, you are dead.

Where exactly is the spirit? How come doctors haven't found it yet?

Hell, if people can catch ghosts on shitty Wal-Mart camcorders, doctors should have no problem finding the spirit!

Also, why are we twisted with sin? Because the loving god created it, and let us be tricked and become twisted, and then commanded us to be well?

And how exactly will life be similar to now? Which rules will apply? Will we go back to the bronze age ignorance of the Old Testament, or will we each get to be in our own room/world like in that American Dad Christmas special?

Also, how do you know what life after physical death is like? Who came back to tell you?

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service