As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've come to expect that Wes --

Theists come to this site because they believe they can swoop in and convert us, or at the very least, dumbfound us with all of the profound logic they've gathered from all of the spin-doctors that religious organizations have employed to spin the biblical fables enough to keep their collection plates full, and then they find that we haven't been reading the works of the spin-doctors, most of us are well-versed, not only in the Bible itself, but in the actual history surrounding it, and are more than aware of all of its weaknesses.

And that's why most of our really profound responses draw only silence, because we're into territory that their spin-doctors didn't cover, and they haven't relied on their own minds for so long, they're at a loss when the time arises that they need them.

Even the very strongest of these I've met so far - and most intelligent and most courteous too, I might add - admitted he didn't have the answers to a couple of questions I'd asked him, and promised he would return in a day or two with answers. That was four months ago.

Your life as an atheist was void and had no hope? Maybe you were just doing it wrong.

As a side note, almost everyone (if not everyone) here is familiar with Pascal's Wager already.

Good- it is still valid.

It is. So what if you're wrong about Zeus? You lose nothing if you believe in him. You lose everything if you don't.

It isn't. It rests on weak premises.  That's why it is so easily rejected.

Sadly, Dave, I heard of the wager first about 1976, and worked on a philosophy paper dealing with the classical proofs of 'God/god' about 1982. You seem to be a rather young and nieve fellow, attempting to impress the many here, that cut our eye teeth on such material while you where still suckling.

Pascal's actual writings might be a real education for you, should you wish to indulge. You may not know of Pascal's interests in probability theory and gambeling?

Even the script you are using  for trying to convince a young theist recruit, is of quiet old contruction. This script was first heard by me about 1972, and I have heard it refluxed and carelessly delivered by such as you since, with little traction. I used to have a collection of these little mass-produced booklets. Each one with slitely different sophist ploys. You might even be reading one of these as you write your emails?

The script has been reformed, and only with minor updates since, and has been accepted as a standard sophist sales ploy by many if not most telemarketers!   

Please do us all a favor, and do some real intellectual work. Your theist obcession just rings hollow here.

@James Cox - RE: "probability theory and gambling" - I long ago combined those two endeavors into a single theorem: the odds are with the House.

They accurately recorded the events and there were thousands who did wee. They are considered reliable accounts. Do you have any 1st century accounts to the contrary? Any way you have already struck out from before.

I hope they didn't all wee at the same time or hundreds might have drowned.

My reliable account is Josephus - the earliest historian to take note of the roots of your cult and a man who wasn't the least big moved by their rhetoric.

RE: "there were thousands who did wee." - was this some kind of bizarre contest, an early Olympic Event, or what?

Fine, maybe you can tell me who Jesus is?

You mean that guy hanging out down by the home depot looking for a day job?  He's just a family man trying to make a living.

RSS

Forum

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 35 minutes ago. 5 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Virgil 2 hours ago. 109 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 2 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service