As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, if he can make a universe, a fucking arm should be no problem.

tears in the eyes big man..LOL

I think regrowing an arm probably would hurt.

And yet there are those who pray to be cured of cancer (and many other diseases) Are you saying that god can't regrow an arm? 

There are people who swear that they have been cured of a disease by prayer. 

Makes absolutely no sense.

And neither could chicken soup --

If he's a Christian; I'll ask; Why the God of love will burn people in hell for eternity? Is this the God of love?

If he's a muslim, I'll ask; What is the penalty for the apostate in Islam? that question is enough to destroy Islam...

If he's a jew I'll ask him; Was the God of abraham a demon? Since Abraham was about to slaughter his son! because pagans slaughter their kids for demons!

~Three stinky religions~

@Paul McKinney

Paul, anything I say to you on the internet, I would say directly to your face, in person, anytime, any place.  Now, when a 'god fearing' family sits in a room and has all their hopes and dreams crushed by the news that their son has terminal cancer, will you tell them, to their faces, that it is the work of your god because it is just and has a purpose for the torment they are experiencing?

The 'Its god's Will', excape clause #1 engaged!

Followed by excape clause #2, 'His believers will know that he loves them'.

Excape clause #3, 'I created you, I can uncreate you!'

Excape clause #4, 'I created the idea and the thing itself, who you gona call, the Holy Goast Busters?'

RE: "there's no body language involved, no inflection, relationship.  It's a hard truth to talk about and think about, and there is more value in discussing these things in person to build a relationship with who ever you're talking with"

I heard the same thing once from a used car salesman, and you're right, a good con involves body language, eye contact, voice control, the works - I didn't buy anything from him either --

I can't think of anything I've written here that I wouldn't say to your face if were in a room in a group discussion. I'm sure most of us would say the same.

Don't you find talking face to face with non theists laborious?

I certainly do when the conversation turns to god and why I don't believe.

My smiling or laughing face has a general ill effect. One which I cannot help.

I need to get out of the discussion as quick as I can when I find myself at the mercy of the brainwashed.

Usually they'll start with the good one..."I'm not going to try to preach to you but...." and then the drooling starts.

I usually can stomach a couple of minutes, then I'm all in with the "you're not really serious are you?. I mean really have you taken a minute to think?"

I had a perfect example the other day.

I have done some roof work for an old lady who has been let down by a contractor to stop her leaking roof.

Twice I have been back to fix parts of the property aside from what I had originally done.

After the recent hurricane I go back and out of the blue the lady asks me if I'm atheist or what denomination? To which I quickly reply that I'm atheist.

She continues to tell me how real god is and this and that.

I confirm that he is not fixing her roof issues. I am. She doesn't get it.

There's no swaying the theist. They have to find out for themselves.

I have so many stories from my experience with a local retired minister.

One time she asked me to come over and fix a phone speeker system that was not loud enough. I looked the system over, it seemed to be working, but it was not loud enough. Talking with the minister it became rather obvious that she needed hearing aides! We talked about this possibility, but she kept coming back with, 'God will cure me, I will just pray on it!' I suggested that hearing aides could be considered, 'God's work', getting money for them could be considered 'prayer answered'! I guess my message sunk in, she showed up with aides a few weeks latter.

Sadly, they seem so focused upon their religion, that they can' use their minds for the simple obvious solutions that are right in front of their face!

I might be over generalizing, but there does seem to be a tendency!

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Lee 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Gary Clouse 4 hours ago. 69 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen yesterday. 11 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service