As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's nothing unique about co-opting local beliefs in the interest of expansion. Read the purest Buddhism out of the mouth of Gautama and then behold what happened as it expanded throughout India, into Nepal and Tibet, then China and Japan. Tibetan Buddhism may be the most extremely removed form of Buddhism from the original. The religion of Gautama had no god. Tibetans have a multiplicity of gods. Strangely, as far removed as Zen is from Gautama's religion, like his original Buddhism there is no god in Zen.

I can't disagre with you, though I was speaking in terms of its success. A success most obviously shared by Buddhism, Islam, and Mormonism. I'm sure there are others. Perhaps it's impossible to achieve huge numbers without it.

The conquest of Alexander the Great is the one single thing that kept the Abrahamic religions from dying out - he created new laws that allowed the Jewish people to move about freely anywhere within his conquests, whereas formerly, they had been restricted to Palestine. This allowed their religion to spread, whereas otherwise, it would have died in the Levant, as did many, many others.

For the Christian Theist.    If Adam and Eve were truly innocent Why did God punish them so harshly?  If they were truly innocent why did he allow the serpent to tempt them?   Where the fuck did the serpent get its knowledge and wisdom?    If God is all powerful and all knowing... why did he create so many people to punish forever and ever?

Why did he create the universe with a built-in need for blood sacrifice?  Why didn't he make the universe rehabilitative instead of punitive?  If God loves us unconditionally why didn't he just let us die and that be it?  Why torture us forever and ever?    Why can't people learn after they die?  Why can't they ask for and be given forgiveness and salvation AFTER they die?  Why didn't he set things up where you could?

Why does god intentionally lie to the archeologists, geologists, biologists, astronomers, etc...? Ok.. thats enough to start with..

Wesley, its OK. You seem to be getting out of breath..;p(

Sounds like you just want to have a Christian bashing cause it makes you feel good. Maybe it makes you feel superior or think you are smarter. Are any atheists wanting to dialogue about their faith in atheism in a mature honest discussion?

@Dave Stallworth

I have no faith - I am without faith - that is what 'Atheism' means.  We can have all the mature discussion you like, but I will hold you to that 'honesty' clause you've tossed in there.  Where your apologetics are intellectually dishonest, I expect you to acknowledge that and stop using those apologetics afterward.

@ dave stallworth "Sounds like you just want to have a Christian bashing cause it makes you feel good"

Do you say this because you don't like the questions?   I just answered the original post with honest questions.   All kinds of questions are possible if you step outside the box.

"Are any atheists wanting to dialogue about their faith in atheism in a mature honest discussion?"

Now you are throwing a 'jab' at me implying that I'm immature.  I answered the post, why do you feel the need to attack me for it?  That's not really the christian thing to do is it?

If atheism is a faith, baldness is a hair color.   To not accept the hindu trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva and their cosmology as an accurate portrayal of our universe is exactly the same as not accepting the christian trinity of the Father, son and holy ghost and their cosmology.   I do not feel they accurately portray this universe.   I feel the weight of the evidence shows that they are creations from the mind of man.

And thus beings the personal attack of one out of ammo for a proper debate.

Oh no, Dave, we also bash believers in Leprechauns, Green Giants, and any other fictitious characters that anyone tries to pass off as real, though we generally leave believers in Santa Claus alone, if they're under the age of eight.

You don't seem to understand the meaning of atheist - "a - theist" - "without (a) god." It's only believers in fairy tales who need faith. And I suspect that most of us here are capable of mature, honest discussion.

Answer one question for me, Dave - do you believe in Zeus?

No?

Then you're an Atheist - I simply believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you don't believe in Zeus, then you will have the tools to understand why I don't believe in Yahweh, which you can choose to use, or not. No discussion is needed.

@ Dave Stallworth.
You could try to answer some of the questions posed above. However we are up for a mature discussion if you have a question that you would like to ask an Atheist?
It might be better to open a new blog instead of using this one. Maybe one that might help you understand what Atheism actually is. It is certainly not something that requires any faith, a common misconception amongst Theists.

@Paul Mckinney

Do you believe that mankind, in all of the vastness of the universe is the only intelligent life he created?

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 18 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.