As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How would you like it demonstrated? Maybe you should consider why the prohets of Baal were killed. Of perhaps why a whole naiton was killed as they had become so vile that they were beyond help, even by God. Maybe you should read about the goodness of God. If you study it then you should be able to recite some of these as well. Oh, be sure you understand the context of scripture as well as some of your data is misinterpreted. Oh one more thing, cna you tell me what you Believe about Jesus and why? I would like to hear your reasoning about him and evidence. 

How would you like it demonstrated? Maybe you should consider why the prohets of Baal were killed. Of perhaps why a whole naiton was killed as they had become so vile that they were beyond help, even by God.

What independent evidence do you have that any of that is factual? By "independent" I mean not from The Bible?

RE: "Maybe you should consider why the prohets of Baal were killed." - because your god is so needy and self-absorbed that he can't handle competition. Four of the ten commandments demonstrate clearly that he can't survive without attention.

RE: "they had become so vile that they were beyond help, even by God." - so you're saying your god is not omnipotent, there ARE things he can't do?

RE: "tell me what you Believe about Jesus and why? I would like to hear your reasoning about him and evidence" - I believe he never existed, and my evidence is that there is no evidence that he did.

So it is ok for a culture to sacrifice children by burning them and killing innocent old people and weak persons who are disabled- praying on them like leeches.  You should examine the reasons why God did what he did and maybe you can gain a better understanding. I have not seen many here that have done that- understand the why. Maybe God has a just reason for eliminating them. Seems to me you object to a just God. Perfect justice is a hard thing to accept I guess.

@Dave Stallworth

Ignoring the fact that you never respond to my rebuttals, I will instead consider it an opportunity to post my rebuttals unchallenged.

First off, burning someone alive for eternity is literally an infinite punishment.  What crime could possibly be considered infinite?  You could rob me of everything I own and permanently disable me, but it still wouldn't justify burning you alive for eternity.  Where is 'perfect justice' in that?

Secondly, assuming that our very existence is worthy of infinite punishment, then how can we possibly be pardoned simply for believing that for which there is no evidence?  I mean, if you rob me of everything I own and permanently disable me, would it be fair for a judge to pardon you for believing in Santa Claus?

What kind of standard is that to set?  Where is the morality?

So, Dave:

DO YOU HAVE A WHY?

If there is no 'God', then either there is no justice or humans, in their imperfect understanding could or should engage in it. If humans are to engage in the pursuit of justice, then understanding the reason for actions might be helpful, and judgement would be indicated.

The claims that 'God' is just, seem to be false on the face of it. Since 'God' offers no justifications, what are humans to do? Saying that, 'Maybe God has a just reason for eliminating them', begs the question of justification! If 'God' is not just, are not christians then trying to protect a being totally unworthy of respect or protection? Believing in such a being makes you party to a travesty.

Continuing to act as a change agent for the reformation of atheists, places the theist in a rather serious delimia: promoting the belief in a 'God' that appears to be unjust, but possibly making false claims to the contrary, while claiming for themselves either infallability or an intolerably degree of ignorance!

Sadly, this sounds about normal for theists.

For atheists, no claim is made for the ability of perfect justice, but by all indications, most atheists still believe in that pursuit!

As an apparent theist, please show us that you still value justice, not just give lip service to it.

All those bad things are things theists have done from time to time. I can throw in child rape as well.

So, you ask us to accept that that is just God's "perfect justice"? Well, God sure uses a strange notion of both perfection and justice in that case.

@dale - RE: "So it is ok for a culture to sacrifice children by burning them"

No, it's much better to cut their throats FIRST, and THEN burn them, as your god told old Abe to do.

Today, of course, clergy don't believe in such savagery. Especially when children can be kept around for some of the old rumpy-pumpy!

Maybe you should consider why the prohets of Baal were killed.

Of perhaps why a whole naiton was killed.

Maybe you should read about the goodness of god.

You give two examples of god's murders and then you follow it with his "goodness"? My goodness..

Ask him to tell you the story about the two guys in Exodus, who were accompanying the Ark of the Covenant, which was being carried on long poles (not short Hungarians), because no one was to touch it, on penalty of death. These two saw that the Ark was tipping, and about to fall to the ground, so to avoid what would have been a source of major disrespect to their god, being nice guys, they reached out and caught it, to keep it from falling, and were instantly killed, by god.

@Paul McKinney

What is 'holy' about killing someone who is trying to prevent you from being disrespected?  What is 'sinful' about trying to avoid disrespecting someone?

Your cult speak is meaningless here, so you will really need to elaborate.

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service