As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol

1. Biology should be taught in a biology class. Theology should be taught with religion or philosophy. It's a simple matter of categorization. \

2. Obviously, you missed that biology class or you are pulling a classic this-is-how-things-work-so-lets-make-it-fit-with-my-beliefs scenario.

3. ... Except that God is considered to be an invisible, omnipresent force.

4. And people can be raised to think that somethings that people consider good, like taking in a stray, injured animal, are bad (because it might have rabies or some such).

5. And you probably just don't understand enough about biology to know that you are wrong.

But on a serious note, I understand what you are doing here. You are seeing what you think are misconceptions about your religion and trying to correct people. I can appreciate that, but you would be better served by creating a new discussion thread than spreading your opinions and answers all through this one.

Normally I stay on the side lines looking in, mostly because I am trying to have a nice day, but I think I should step into what ever this is.

Dear Paul:

If Adam and Eve's children had children together, how could you possibly claim that that population, starting with two folks, could have greater genetic diversity than our population at present, of ~7 billion?

I might grant you that the biblical story is true, just for giggles, but given the amount of time since, the amount of genetic drift/variation/mutations would create a greater genetic diversity than would have been present in that older population.

I think you are attempting to exploit present knowledge concerning biology and genetics to pretend to offer insight into some religious myth. You desire to use the sciences for some attempt at validation, but then, in the next breath denign the utility and value of the sciences when it conflicts with dogma. You want your cake and eat it to! Sadly, trying to speek the language of biology/genetics, does not reflect back upon the myth with any real help.

I remember a wonderful conversation in a philosophy class about 25 years ago concerning the concept of 'good'. While your experience might tell you that 'good things are good', which by the way is an emthy totology, it is not true under all conditions, unless one is of limited experience. Without offering a complete listing of all exceptions, I would suggest you do your home work. While it is tempting to make over arching generalizations, especially when it comes to 'certainty', the search for complete knowledge most times gives complexity and exceptions.

'God is light', how very charming. Do you follow 'My Little Pony' by any chance?  

@James Cox

The theist just replied to you with more bullshit without indicating that the reply was to you - so just follow the link to this reply to find his reply so you can intellectually body slam him.  That is all.

Did they have six fingers on each hand and foot as well? Polydactyly, as a hereditary trait, is genetically dominant after all.

Where in the world do I start? So much to do, so little time --

Then the flood happened and drastically cut down the genetic diversity in humanity - which caused us all to live much shorter lives.

I think that at the tower of Bable, God gave the different languages to the people who would become the different races of people

The flood didn't happen ( I gave you a link to evidence, which you clearly  chose not to use.

The Tower of Babel Fable didn't happen either, it referred to the building of a Sumerian ziggurat in Mesopotamia, and the purpose of that was never to reach heaven, but to provide a place for the Sumerian gods (I can give you the entire pantheon if you need it) to rest when they visited earth.

If the tower myth were actually true, a wise god would keck back in his celestial Laz-e-boy and cackle his holy ass off as the builders reached the height where they ran out of oxygen and passed out - no language confusion necessary.

RE: "(I consider evolution faith and not science)" - our science has supporting evidence, your "faith" has none.

RE: "And why does God who created everything need something to make light other than himself?" - why does Jack need to climb the bean stalk? - hey, a fairy tale is a fairy tale, you can't explain that --

While it is tempting to make over arching generalizations, especially when it comes to 'certainty', the search for complete knowledge most times gives complexity and exceptions.

I might add that certainty is a state of mind. It doesn't lend credence what one is certain about. Anyone who's ever been absolutely sure about something they thought they remembered and later had it shown to them that their memory was wrong should understand this.

2.  Yes, Adam and Eve's kids had babies with each other.  They had much grater genetic diversity then we do, so no deformities.

How can a brother and sister have much greater genetic diversity? Or is it just a lame excuse to justify a biblical example of incest.

3.  God is light.

I think you've mistaken the sun for a living being. Explain how god is light. If he is light, then why do we need the sun at all? And how are we made in "His image" if he is light?

4.  Come on.  Our experience tells us that good things are good.

A lot of people will tell you that their experience doing crack tells them that crack is good. But I bet you would disagree.

5.  And I disagree

What do you disagree with exactly? We are extremely easy to kill, we have extra organs we do not need, our eyes work upside down and backwards, our infants are horrible at survival, and so on. Many other animals are much better than us at many things. How can we, the perfect beings, made in his image, not have better sight than hawks, or better hearing than bats? Or be more death proof than a cockroach.

"What is your favourite type of pie?"

Sure, it doesn't make much of a point, but it has a good chance of getting them to stop yapping about their gods.

There are theists whom I hold in high regard.  When we discuss religion, I try to avoid pointed questions.  The thing I struggle with most is that none of the theists I know are strict literalists.  In some faiths that doesn't present much of an issue, but in others it seems quite problematic.  I do tend to ask how they can sort out which parts of their mythology are literal and which are metaphorical.  The answers vary, but I'm coming to realize that many of the religious folks I know simply aren't well aligned with organized religion at all, and don't seem to be all that fussed about it.  Only a minority of Canadians actually attend religious services with any regularity. Those that have adopted eastern religions and philosophies aren't really inundated with some of the cultural beliefs and expectations that exists in regions where those religions are more traditionally practiced.  The end result seems to be nebulous religious beliefs that are more personal than institutional.

" The end result seems to be nebulous religious beliefs that are more personal than institutional."

In Boyer's "Religion Explained" this is one of the points that he reiterates. Most religious people are not concerned about the details and cohesiveness of their belief system. They use their theistic belief as a tool for comfort and solace. The hope that their god will help them in time of trouble and adversity and the real zinger, grant them eternal life in some new altered state. It is actually too much work for most of our religious minded brethren to delve into the specifics of why and how they believe what they do. "Keep it simple stupid" is a phrase that certainly applies.

And the word "nebulous" is definitely a great characterization of their actual understanding.  

Rather than a question, I have a statement: ID/Creationism is blasphemous.

Setting aside all 'technical' issues associated with this belief – which boils down to rejecting a natural evolutionary process – a religious person should have severe spiritual problems with this concept, because if the Creator really did fiddle around so as to, every now and again, 'push' Its creations into a desired direction, that'd sort of deprive It of Its status as being really supreme or all-mighty. Because that's what It is, right? All mighty, all knowing, all loving, all everything...

Thus, by saying that It molds nature 'on the fly', as it were, creationists are committing blasphemy on a level that should shake the very foundations of their religion. This is the type of blasphemy that wants you to believe that It has not created a perfect Universe right from the start and that things have to be tweaked every so often – sounds a bit like a divine patch Tuesday.

sounds a bit like a divine patch Tuesday.

I thought you were talking about some sort of farming patch terminology I wasn't aware of.....then I got it, and lol'd.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 2 hours ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 3 hours ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 5 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service