As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gosh Unseen, you sure seem to know an awful lot about that kind of stuff --

RE: "Obviously God doesn't have a gender." - they why did he have a wife, Asherah?

Obviously?

Hum?

'God doesn't have a gender.' But theists refer to 'it' by a male pronoun 'him/he/lord/master'. Why? Another charming convention that aspires to some form of knowledge, but comes up short? 

'Neither do angels'. But again some angels are referred to my male pronouns. Why?

Paul, you sadden me - when faced with the most illogical stories, concocted thousands upon thousands of years ago by itinerant sheep herders, who knew nothing of how the world works, and who passed the stories along by word of mouth through countless generations, probably the least reliable method of disseminating information, you, a modern, 21st century man, with at least enough intelligence to be able to operate a computer, still stick to that story.

"If a man, holding a belief which he was taught in childhood, or persuaded of afterward, keeps down and pushes away any doubts which arise about it in his mind, purposely avoids the reading of books and the company of men that call in question or discuss it...the life of that man is one long sin against mankind."
-- William Kingdon Clifford --

That explains you quite well, for when someone says "I believe this on faith," what they are really staying is "I've decided to be stupid on this matter."

RE: "Just like you just have to have faith in the things you believe about the origins of the planet and life."

Not so - there's evidence for that, while there's no evidence for your beliefs.

It is quiet doubtful if your concept of 'faith' rises to the level of probable truth of a scientific claim. Attempting to raise yourself up on the sand of myth and story, while sinking into the mire of analysis and interpritation, only causes many here a envision a world view, that you promote, as thin and without merit. Thank you for yet one more attempt to convince. Better luck next time?  

goddunit

I'd ask them if God was perfect and all-loving, then why did he create the devil? If he was perfect, then He'd predict that the devil would betray him, and if he was all-loving, then he wouldn't allow the devil to exist and wreak havoc on our world.

They would say that the devil serves a purpose: to give man a choice.

and I would say, if the devil gives man a choice, and we consider choice/freedom to be a good thing, is the devil good? and likewise God is bad for refusing to give us a choice? Plus, God could in principle just as easily give us a choice himself, rather than create another deity just so he can wash his hands of the pain & torment to human souls.

I think we have just enough brain cells to be able to make the magic of 'choice' happen. Satan, while being metaphorically irritating, is a little redundent in this regard. 

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 0 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service