As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This.

This comment should be re-posted everywhere!

The bible knows what people are like.  Everyone is selfish.

I call bullshit on that! There is only one definition of selfish, and no, not everyone fits in that category.

My beliefs are justified because when I am obeying God (to love him and love others) I have peace in my circumstances and I'm not angry at everything.  I'm able to love (the verb) my wife and my kids.

So, you are saying that if you didn't obey god, you wouldn't be able to love your wife and kids? What. The. Fuck.

The overall theme makes sense to me, we are all evil (not Hitler evil, but any and every sin makes us evil), and we all lust after evil things. 

I won't even start on this... I just vomited a little in my mouth after reading it.

My flesh (need to sin) is still with me until I die, so it is a constant fight, with the power of the holy spirit, against my desires.

The holy spirit must be pretty damn pathetic, if our mortal bodies desire can win in any circumstance.... makes god look a little less omnipotent and all powerful, no?

A friend once told me, 'the god in me loves you!'

So you can't do this on your own?  

I often ask them what they dislike most about other religions. That can open up a good debate.

Sometimes I ask Catholics - "Is it Catholics or Protestants that believe they are drinking their gods actual blood?" Sometimes I ask Protestants the same question (and then stand back a bit). When they finish their explanation I usually comment -"Wow thats far out man !!"

"How did Mary fall pregnant again?" - Wow thats far out man!!....

And your saying that I can gain immortality if I just accept your Jesus into my heart !!! Wow -that's far (enough already)

Why is God never mentioned in the Book of Ruth?

Me - Respect religion? Of course........

1.  Every other religion requires you to work for your salvation (entrance into heaven, or enlightenment, etc.)  Christianity is the only religion that says it is impossible to work for your salvation, and that God literally died for our salvation.

I'm pretty sure the Norse religion didn't really have you work at it at all.... You just had to die a glorious death in battle. Christianity on the other hands, wants you to beg, grovel, kneel and be a good little slave. Obey these rules, kill these people who break them, and sadly I don't remember the passage exactly, but I do recall your lord and savior saying you must "Hate your mother and father, abandon your wife and children, and all of your worldly possessions."

3.  God - you of course knew that already

Hmm... And since you mentioned before that god is light, does that mean I shouldn't let my wife go to the beach? She might get UV-Raped?

Also, since Mary was married, isn't that adultery? Shouldn't they both have been put to death?

4.  You cannot gain immortality, we are already living forever.  We're doing it right now!  What we gain is life!  We are dead in our sins.  You gain life through Jesus.  And accepting him into your heart is a stupid way to put it.. I don't know where that came from.

We are all living forever? Pics or it didn't happen.

Because god is Ruthless!.

Why oh why would a deity create people with the capacity for logical thought, only to demand blind faith in concepts that make absolutely no sense?   On a personal level, why would their deity do this to me?  Any omniscient being would know what proof I would require in order to believe.  It's not rocket science.  

Instead of a question, how about "Isn't it cool?: the resurrected Jesus was the original zombie!"

indeed...you folks here have a fine sense of self and humour.

Obviously. Horus was resurrected long before Jesus. I believe so was Mithra, and pretty much all the other gods...

My question would be...." As a loving, caring parent would you threaten your child with a few hours in the oven if he/she didn't do exactly as you tell them to?   Would this child grow up to respect and love you or hate and want to kill you?  "

What kind of god threatens his own creation with torture in hell if the individual doesn't accept him as the one and only true god before they die?   Answer:  A MONSTER. 

I'm a retired teacher and I know from experience that threats and punishment don't get a child to do what you would like them to do......love, kindness, understanding and good teaching methods do.

You make it sound like it is all beyond God's control, as if Hell is some naturally occuring consequence over which God has no influence.

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service