As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you suggesting God smote the Nazis? Damn, God must have really hated China and the Soviet Union then.

And you concept of God misses the point about Jesus. So how does a God that comes down to earth as a man, lives a perfect life, dies for the sins of man, get resurrected and is alive now fit into your view of God?

Kind of zombieish. It fits that way, I suppose.

RE: "IS there a case to be made where a nation is so vile that is must be detroyed?"

Is there a case to be made for a god who creates imperfect people, then blames them for their imperfections?

"Why should I allow that same god to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown his own?"
-- Bertrand Russell --

So if there is no God who did all these vile things? And you may want to find out what these people did ti deserve destruction. Your moral statements assume there is a God yet you decelare He is not. Anyway, are you aware that prior to an attack the Israelites would offer the women and children a chance to leave before they attacked. This is not proof of no God- just  a strawman argument with false ideas.. 

The Israelites regularly slaughtered women and children, even hamstrung horses of the enemy, and wrote their holy book to include a god that approved of all their horrible atrocities - that's all.

So you admit that your supposed "god" did vile things?

And you may want to find out what these people did ti deserve destruction

What did the children of Egypt do to deserve destruction? What did they do to deserve god hardening Pharaoh's heart to make sure that he refuses to free the Jews, just so that god can have an excuse to kill the. What does the bible say about all the cities that Moses slaughtered by divine instruction. What did they do? What did their babies do to deserve to be dashed on rocks? What did every living thing do to deserve being drowned in the flood?

And you throw around straw man, and what false ideas? All of the things mentioned by everyone here are from your bible, and taught by your churches.

None of it might prove no-god, but it proves that if he is real, he is a sadistic monster.

Just how impossible does something have to be before you won't believe it?

Ain't that the truth...

Thank you sir.

I chuckled real good there.

It's surprising what a theist just will say is not true though. Like other religions beliefs.

I fell into a funny place with theists once, in responce to a question they used the excape clause, 'we have determined that that is settled truth'. So what ever rather serious chalenge you might propose, they could decide that what ever the target is, is a 'settled truth', and above question. One could call it the 'Thought stopping' card. It is unclear if atheists have anything similar, I expect such a ploy would cause something like a fall from grace. Saying that we 'don't know', is a perfectly good responce for us it seems, and would maintain most of us in good standing with our piers.

I am not above using the 'baffle with BS' card when it suits me. LOL  

NICE...love it.

100% behind the baffle...LOL.

It takes some practice to do 'baffle' well. I think Michael could have it down, except for the WTF part which seems a little too often. Wholely-TV seemed to have the BS down rather nicely, but the 'Baffle' qoutient was a little too high. To get it right, the prose has to get into your head, without setting off the WTF and and nieve logic/syntax sensors. Read Lewis Carol, for some orientation in this regard. I still keep wanting to think that Lewis was trying to train us to recognize crap, the flip side of art...LOL   

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 4 hours ago. 62 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 11 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 12 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 16 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 17 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service