As the title says..."what's your favourite question to ask a theist"?

You may have many favourites...I would like to hear from you guys about yours.

I have a personal favourite which I often use when they start spouting their spew that GOD wrote the bible at the beginning of time, he created everything....

"OK. If GOD wrote the BIBLE at the beginning of time like you say...some 14.5 BILLION, that's BILLION years ago, What language was it written in?"

Most theists I know don't even know what language JESUS spoke. It's sad really.

Another of my favourites is this one...

"Why did it take GOD 10 BILLION years to make the planet EARTH and then a further 4.5 BILLION years to make MAN?"

There's always a spewy reply of some sort or another which usually gets my goat and the theist is appalled at my outburst of laughter.

So come on you guys....let 'em have it....share your ammo with us.

Views: 5227

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RE: "the flip side of art" - would that be anything like art, through the looking glass?

Explain how one man got two grizzly bears from north America and two zebras from Africa put them on a boat and talked the grizzlies out of eating the zebra for forty days. Still waiting for the answer.

They would simply say that natural forces could easily be suspended by the miracle of God.

"And then a miracle happened" is a very useful premise to inject into any argument.

in the words of Larry the cable guy...

"'at's some funny stuff right there.."

Thanks.

I had a feeling this thread would make me laugh my ass off.

double post by accident

Exactly they can only say. Because god said so. That's no answer.

Fences... same as zoos.

Actually, Paul, if my fingers and toes are correct, it was one year, one month, and ten days, if you believe the Bible, which on this site, has a bit of a credibility issue --

Has anyone noticed that nobody has problems anymore? They have issues.

Do you have children? Do you love them? Is there anything that they could ever do that would cause you to lock them up in the basement and torture them FOREVER?  For a year?  For a day?  For five minutes?

What have I done that makes me deserve to be tortured FOREVER?

(Ok, that's more than one question. But they all roll together.)

I spin that one slightly differently...

Imagine that your own child is in Hell, suffering in eternal torment, while you are in Heaven, forced to be blissfully happy about it, unable to morn or weep for your own child.

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes: and death shall be no more, nor mourning, nor crying, nor sorrow shall be any more, for the former things are passed away

I call it Stepford Heaven.

This is one of my favorites as well.

I've also prefaced this question by asking is God perfect, and then showing that I - a mere mortal - can conceive of a more merciful, loving, and understanding response (i.e. "not Hell"), so I must be more merciful, loving, and understanding than God.  Sometimes it's fun to start with your question and then end with "congratulations, you're more loving/understanding/merciful/etc than God" because there's no one who will ever say they'd torture their kids or people they love for eternity.  Well, except God.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com