What causes the atmosphere to be so cruel, that the plane falls when it flies higher than 250 feet. Please hypothesize and bring an extensive reason.

PS: The phenomenon should not significantly affect the Earth itself, not to the point of total death on the surface. It must be in the window of natural occurrences. Not aliens, robots or humans hand caused from land.

Views: 214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You do come up with some odd topics... I assume you are asking what, if anything, would keep a plane from flying over 250 feet? Since we all know planes fly far higher than that in reality.

In answer: I have no idea. Maybe some type of violent weather causing highly unstable conditions above 250 feet?

Maybe the craft harvests atmospheric gases as it goes and converts them into energy for propulsion. Maybe it requires the higher density atmosphere of lower altitude to gather enough gases to produce enough energy to create lift.

Or maybe the earth is repopulated with pteranodons who rule the skies above 250 feet and their eyesight is too poor to track aircraft flying below them.

Or maybe global warming has caused most of the earth's oceans to vaporize and we have 100% cloud cover with constant electrical storms that wreak havoc with navigation systems.

The rate of Neutron impact goes up the higher a plane ascends. Neutrons can effect fight control avionics.

The law of aerodynamics do not normally change going from an elevation of 250 feet to an elevation of 251 feet. The phenomena of "lift" created by the movement of air across a wing remains constant, assuming forward speed remains constant. When a craft reaches the outer limits of earth's upper atmosphere lift eventually diminishes and disappears as air is no longer present.

The ratio of the weight of the plane vs the gravitational force....velocity at 250 feet cannot withstand the gravitational force.

That's my shot in the dark.

Am I stupid? What kind of bizarre question is this? I don't get it. It sounds like gibberish. Am I missing something or am I just stupid?

Are we talkin' 250' above sea level, or like Denver?

A planetary magnetic pole reversal could bring a plane down..maybe.

All aircraft have a "service ceiling" that is roughly the highest the airplane can fly.  As the atmosphere thins, it is harder to generate lift (but, happily, there's also less drag so there's a good reason to fly high).

It should be perfectly possible to construct an airplane that has a service ceiling of 250 feet.  Of course, that ceiling is going to be affected by temperature and humidity, so I'd sure never want to fly in that aircraft!

It's also possible to load any aircraft so that it is incapable of climbing above ground effect.  Ground effect (air molecules bouncing off the ground and helping support aircraft flying close to the ground) provides some extra lift up to a height about equal to the wingspan of the aircraft, but most of it comes when you get down to below half a wing span or less.

So if you had an aircraft with a really big wingspan of, say, 350 feet taking off from a really wide concrete runway, it would be possible to have it fly at up to 250 feet in ground effect but not be able to climb above that without stalling/crashing.

In fact, we have an example of this.  The old Hughes Spruce Goose only managed to get airborne in ground effect.

Ground effect is useful for taking off from a short runway; you can continue to accelerate while still in ground effect, then begin a climb towards an altitude that's a little less scarily close to the ground.  (Altitude is a pilot's friend.)  This option doesn't exist, of course, if there's an obstacle in the way.

I sometimes had to land on a grass strip in the dark without lights, and I thanked ground effect for safe landings, not knowing until the last few seconds if I was 25 feet off the ground or just 5.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service