What percentage of Think Atheist members are Humanists?

I've created a survey with the SurveyMonkey tool. I am curious to understand the link between atheists, agnostics and humanists. Only one question for people to answer, and it's anonymous.

Thank you

Views: 299

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I replied yes, though I mean it in the broader sense of the word. I identify my outlook more as a philosophical naturalist than humanist, but they are not mutually exclusive, obviously.

Up to date, 73 people have voted.

-Of those, 63 (or 66) do not describe as agnostic, of which 85% are humanists.

-Agnostics too few to be statistically significant, and tend to answer both  questions instead of one only.

I am flabbergasted at the 85%. I get a sense that in the USA, humanism is intimately entwined with atheists due to a large percentage of the population being brought up in a religious context and when "moving on", need to move on to another dogmatic group. But then again, atheism seems to be a young phenomenon in the USA, as far as gaining numbers goes, maybe that is the reason?

I'm going to leave the poll open one more month.

i just voted today,hope i make the cut lol

In my eyes atheism and humanism go hand in hand. Atheists don't believe in God, Humanists ignore the idea of God completely. Atheists believe we can have morals without religion, ditto Humanists. I would consider myself both, but more atheist because of the science aspect. I don't think Humanists care about science or where we came from. I did vote yes, because I'm more humanist than not.

This is all new to me butt... by this definition: 1. A system of thought that rejects religious beliefs and centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth.

A definite "yes".

And thanks for an interesting question.  (Got to change my emoticon)

My little survey has lasted long enough. The result is clear. 85% of T|A members who responded consider themselves Humanists. I find this quite depressing. I would think that people who claim to have an understanding of science would have a better level of realisation of the endless harms Homo sapiens has caused this planet through our anthropocentricism. IMO, Humanism offers absolutely nothing new to run this civilisation better than Christianity has. Humanism is but godless Christianity and is therefore in my eyes useless.

I am closing the survey and this discussion. Thank you for participating.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 26 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 3 hours ago. 8 Replies

Ken Hamm at it again

Started by Noel in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 5 hours ago. 2 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 7 hours ago. 75 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Ed 9 hours ago. 22 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 9 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service