What percentage of Think Atheist members are Humanists?

I've created a survey with the SurveyMonkey tool. I am curious to understand the link between atheists, agnostics and humanists. Only one question for people to answer, and it's anonymous.

Thank you

Views: 310

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I also voted three times just to speed up the process.

(kidding)

LOL

There's a secular humanist meeting across the street from me on Sundays. I'm intrigued, because most of them are atheist, but I believe I suffer from what others do on here: lack of a good definition. 

I will say that I am not one to donate or volunteer just to say I donated or volunteered. I have certain causes that speak to me for a good reason. THOSE are the causes I help. If that makes me less of a person, sobeit.

I'm glad to see this being tackled, and no I did not vote, and will not vote. Discussion is more meaningful.

"I'm glad to see this being tackled, and no I did not vote, and will not vote. Discussion is more meaningful."

It's not that hard to do both.  One does not limit the other.  You may feel that discussion is more meaningful, but that doesn't mean that answering the poll is not meaningful, especially weighed against the time it takes to answer one question.

Without stats, reality does not exist. Recently the Canadian government removed the mandatory long census form and Canadian society will suffer for it because without stats, one can assess nothing.
I heard that England did the same, though I could be mistaken.  Our stats on religion demographics are a decade old.  I want to see newer statistics that have reasonable accuracy.  I don't really know what the deal with the (voluntary) National Household Survey is yet.

reality is still reality.. you can't pick and choose things because there's not a quantifying number.  it's the same debate at the tree falling in the woods.  displacement of fluid air cause vibration, which in turn causes audible sound.

i will contend that with out discussion, there can be little to no resolution.  if the ideas are not exchanged, then how will the thoughts spread?  through an excel chart or almanac?  there is no statistic for the understanding of a philosophy or what that philosophy actually means.  i'm willing to bet that after these exchanges, at least a few people will decide to research the idea of humanism.

Resolution.... spreading of thoughts..... great discussion topics

Go ahead and start them :)

Personally, any discussion on the topic of "percentage of humanists among atheists" has different implications whether the numbers lean on either side or 50:50. And until I get an idea of these numbers, I reserve my opinion. 

But I am curious to get an estimate.   ;)

I'm a humanist and I believe in tough love.

My anthem is: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9EhPunI6xg

I like the idea of being a humanist, my brother is a full blown member and conducts humanist services such as funerals etc. I don't agree that they are like churches.. left wing. I have never been approached by a humanist in an aggressive manner in the same wasy as I have been by a complete stranger, a christian who tried to force the New Testament on me.. twice! We have a census happening here in the UK on Sunday. It will be interesting to see what the real numbers of christians are. I hope people will be brave! 
We're up to 46 voters, I'm hoping to double that number. thanks for your vote.
I would like to define myself as a relativist.

RSS

Forum

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Erock68la 5 minutes ago. 25 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 2 hours ago. 134 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 10 hours ago. 27 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 19 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service