What percentage of Think Atheist members are Humanists?

I've created a survey with the SurveyMonkey tool. I am curious to understand the link between atheists, agnostics and humanists. Only one question for people to answer, and it's anonymous.

Thank you

Views: 295

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I disagree with that definition. It's akin to me to stating I'm a vegetarian but I still eat meat. For me, agnosticism is a shade of theism, not a shade of atheism.

There is a logical fault among trendy atheists, in that our "leaders" are trying to be all inclusive in order to skew statistics as much in our favour as possible. I see trends in some interpretations to inflate our ranks, to include everyone and anyone who is not affiliated with a given church, anyone with doubt, anyone with sympathies, anyone who's religion does not include a single god. That's fine for political speak, but when it comes to real solid definitions, I prefer to distance myself from cheery all inclusives.

You are welcome to disagree, though not many others agree with you.

As an atheist, I do not believe in the existence of God. I am also in agnostic in that I do not think it is possible to know whether there is a God.

Would you agree that belief and knowledge are different?

Also, I don't find that the definition that was provided to you is an "all-inclusive" definition at all.

BUMP!

only 17 responses to the survey, need more. Only one question to answer, super fast :)

If you agree that Humanism is defined thus:

Then yes I am a humanist.

I like that definition......  count me in as well.
I agree to that definition, and I would call myself a humanist.
I do not know how to vote, but I am a humanist and belong to a group of humanists who meet every other Wednesday

did you go to the link?  survey

only 22 votes, still a long way to go
I really have to say that I can't vote without an accurate definition of 'humanist'.  On the other hand, I definitely do not self identify as a 'humanist' specifically because of the lack of a clear definition.  I do 'consider' myself a humanist, however, at least by the definition "A secular ideology which espouses reason, ethics, and justice, whilst specifically rejecting supernatural and religious dogma as a basis of morality and decision-making."

A selfdescription for me would have to say : "Organic Altruistic Secular Humanist" .  that pretty much nails it right on the head !

voted.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

Started by Stephen Sutton in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 34 minutes ago. 75 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service