Deconverts - What part of Christian culture do you miss the most? Is there a worship song or hymn you find yourself humming? Do you miss the after church coffees and potlucks? Do you get sentimental about an author or children's book?

I realize there is plenty to NOT miss, but for those who were in the faith longer than out, I'd be very happy to hear about the cultural soft-spots you have since leaving the faith.

Tags: culture, deconversion

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, thank you very much, dear Zoolady and *high fives* back to you!

I was extremely shy as a young girl that my older siblings' friends assumed I was mute. People thought I was such a well-behaved little girl and even my family's nickname for me was Angel ! Little did they know, doing naughty-impish things have always been my forte!
The food! :) every sunday after service we would all gather round and eat together. i'd be at church with my family up to 3 hours sometimes. and it was mainly because of the gatherings after church. it was great because we all ate & as a kid i was able to play with all the other children. other than that, there really isn't much else i miss.
Not much that I miss, all I can really think of is a poem:

Footprints In The Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?”

The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”

-Mary Stevenson
I definitely still enjoy a lot of hymns as well as other sacred music by composers like Bach and Palestrina, but I don't "miss them" because I still give them a listen whenever I'm in the mood - I just don't attribute the same meaning to them that I once did. I occasionally attend church services because as a musician, they are my main avenue for performance; so I am still part of some "fellowship" gatherings.

I think that what I really miss the most is feeling like I was included. I see Christian couples getting married and using their beliefs to draw closer to each other. I see Christian friends going on relaxing retreats together to beautiful forested church camp grounds. I see people praying together and actually believing that it does them any good, drawing closer to each other through hopes, and part of me wishes I could delude myself into believing again.

What would be better would be finding a secular organisation in town that provided the same sort of community and retreat activities, but without the religious tones. Unfortunately, however, I don't think such a group exists where I live.
I don't miss much. We once had a missionary come pray for my deaf brother and I got really excited in hopes that he would be able to hear again. Obviously he didn't. I guess I kinda miss that excitement, but the disappointment more than neutralized that.
I still go to church on Christmas and I often come visit my local church to hear the music there. It's quite beautiful. But really nothing that I have to be faithful to enjoy. In fact, I find these things even more amazing with the belief that we actually accomplished it ourselves, rather than a magic man in the sky.
I grew up christian, all my family are christians. I can honestly say I miss nothing. I don't miss going to church, I don't miss singing their stupid songs, I don't miss forcing myself to hug people at the pastors request (did anyone else get this? I hated it). I stopped being a christian long before I stopped believing in god.

I guess if I were to miss anything it'd be the holidays, but thats because I like eating a lot of food and getting presents, not because of anything that might have been christian about them. Although I don't really miss them because I still celebrate the ones I liked (Like christmas and easter) and just don't worry about the holidays I don't like, lol.
The "Peace Be With You" thing my Catholic church did was just handshakes, not hugs... but it was never all that pleasant and usually way more awkward than anything else... we weren't a very tight knit community so it's not like we knew each other lol.
"peace be with you" sounds a lot like the "blessed be" greeting that Pagan's use.

Paganism in Catholic traditions? that's blasphemy!
...there are so many pagan roots in Christianity in general that if the average modern christian knew it, it would turn him on his head.
what does an Atheist Easter consist of? just the spring equinox?
I mean...Easter was a pagan tradition in the first place....lol
i can't remember how old i was(perhaps 12 ??) but when i first heard the song "amazing grace", it was very moving~~~~~even to this day, this song is very sentimental.......and that's coming from an atheist...hehe
I like the tune of Christmas songs; particularly "O Holy Night" ("Cantique de Noël") and "O Come All Ye Faithful" ("Adeste Fideles"). I love those songs, and yet the lyrics make me sad. I try to tell myself that they're no different than "Here Comes Peter Cottontail"; just harmless mythical songs, but it's not true. Peter Cottontail never caused so much bloodshed.
haha...these are also pagan traditions stolen by the church to make it easier to convert.

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service