Deconverts - What part of Christian culture do you miss the most? Is there a worship song or hymn you find yourself humming? Do you miss the after church coffees and potlucks? Do you get sentimental about an author or children's book?

I realize there is plenty to NOT miss, but for those who were in the faith longer than out, I'd be very happy to hear about the cultural soft-spots you have since leaving the faith.

Tags: culture, deconversion

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i can't remember how old i was(perhaps 12 ??) but when i first heard the song "amazing grace", it was very moving~~~~~even to this day, this song is very sentimental.......and that's coming from an atheist...hehe
I like the tune of Christmas songs; particularly "O Holy Night" ("Cantique de Noël") and "O Come All Ye Faithful" ("Adeste Fideles"). I love those songs, and yet the lyrics make me sad. I try to tell myself that they're no different than "Here Comes Peter Cottontail"; just harmless mythical songs, but it's not true. Peter Cottontail never caused so much bloodshed.
haha...these are also pagan traditions stolen by the church to make it easier to convert.
I was raised in Armstrongism so I never had the heaven delusion. Their assertion is you die until Jesus comes back and then you and the other "true believers" are whisked away on the wings of eagles to the Promised Land. Even as a naive child I had a hard time wrapping my brain around that one. Apparently it will be a holy procession of rotted corpses and skeletons. Should be a good show.

I long for a sense of community. Communities themselves (neighbourhoods) are fractured by different beliefs, schedules, need for involvement, etc. I could say I miss that from the church but I never really felt it there, either. Of course I was young when I left so perhaps my sense of community was nonexistent at the time.

I don't miss anything else. Occasionally I'll hear the melody from a church hymn and the words will come to mind, but I don't miss those. I do enjoy some Christmas songs but I've never related those to faith as Armstrongism denounces pagan holidays. Silent night is a beautiful song. Maybe we could come up with alternate lyrics.

I'd love to do neighbourhood potlucks.

So I guess I don't miss anything but I do long for a sense of community...belonging and commonality of purpose/interests.
thats what we are here for though <3
I don't believe I miss anything. As a musician, I was interested in playing with the churches "praise group". I was going to play guitar. yes, even though I am an atheist. Its the love of music that made me want to do it. I find it enjoyable playing music with other musicians, even if i don't feel in my being what I am playing. I got in contact with the leader of the group, and she said that one of the requirements was that you have to do it in the name of the lord. that kind of goes without saying but I was going to just do it anyway. why should my non belief phase them? though the more I thought about it, I wouldn't be doing myself or the people that I would be playing with any justice if my heart wasn't all the way in it. So that was that.
GOOD! Their loss...and I"m sure you can find another group who won't make absurd demands on you!
also as a musician I wondered why all of the hymns were poorly written.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service