Deconverts - What part of Christian culture do you miss the most? Is there a worship song or hymn you find yourself humming? Do you miss the after church coffees and potlucks? Do you get sentimental about an author or children's book?

I realize there is plenty to NOT miss, but for those who were in the faith longer than out, I'd be very happy to hear about the cultural soft-spots you have since leaving the faith.

Tags: culture, deconversion

Views: 93

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I started getting some SPINE right around age 11 or so. My family still made me go to church/Sunday school....heh heh heh.

If anyone EVER asked us to tell our favorite biblical verses, I'd pop right up an announce "Solomon...chapter 8, verse 8." "We have a little sister and she hath no breasts. What shall we do for our sister on the day she shall be spoken for?"

Snicker, snicker.
I miss the camp I went to as a child. I went from like 1st grade all the way through high school. The songs, I only partly remember at this point but some of them parts still come back up in my memory from time to time. There is alot about the camp and people that I miss. I am FB friends with some of them. One of the past directors of the camp is a missionary in South America now and when I friended him on FB he asked about my Atheism and at the time, I really didnt feel like talking about it. He used the arguement from personal expierence on me.
Did you know that there are a few atheist summer camps? Yes, there are! I can't remember their name off the top of my head, but I'll search for it an reply. There aren't very many of them across the country. Were there one in GA, I think I might contribute resources, time, or money to supporting it.
We have every intention on sending our children to Camp Quest when they are of age. In the Midwest, where we live, it is worse (in the minds of most) to be an Atheist than anything else. We want them to not constantly feel like outsiders, and have a place to recharge after the constant force feeding of Christianity they will face here.
Only heard about them since I deconverted. I "grew up" in the church, so never considered anything else.
@DaveG & Matthew: I have since contacted the Camp Quest closest to me (in TN) and think I am going to do something to support them. I don't exactly know what yet, but may sponsor a kid or (because I am a professional ecologist) the director suggested I come up for a long weekend to deliver programming of various sorts - from nature interpretation to hosting games on critical thinking skills. Who knows if this will pan-out, but it is fun to think about.
GOOD FOR YOU! Ecological awareness is hugely important these days and it's a ''popular'' interest, too. If we can get them thinking about the world in terms other than something to exploit, we're on our way to saving the planet. THANKS for this!
Hehe Welcome. As much as I enjoy attending various Atheist Meet-Ups, it is insufficient for me. I feel the need to positively impact society and advance the rationalist mindset. Thank you for your moral support!
That is really awesome. Let us know how this goes!
Thanks, Reggie! I'm actually starting my very first commissioned Atheist "lecturette." This is a local group that have asked me to deliver on the issue of morality. Should be fun. I am motivated to do an outstanding job. Peace!
You should video it!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Jimmy 6 minutes ago. 163 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.