Deconverts - What part of Christian culture do you miss the most? Is there a worship song or hymn you find yourself humming? Do you miss the after church coffees and potlucks? Do you get sentimental about an author or children's book?

I realize there is plenty to NOT miss, but for those who were in the faith longer than out, I'd be very happy to hear about the cultural soft-spots you have since leaving the faith.

Tags: culture, deconversion

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is an interesting perspective. I never got too hung up on God's fairness. I had "only God can judge the heart" hammered into me - which wasn't all bad. I also was pretty big on allowing and figuring out God's will - which of course meant that sometimes shitty things happened, but it was still okay if God wasn't fair, because ultimately God's Will was evident. I did a lot of soul searching but never out and out questioned. This is where personality greatly factors into the faith experience.

Often believers circled their wagons around those who questioned - as a means of smothering them with Love. Probably better you didn't get smothered because being an outsider always helps a person make that last step out.

and good point about the cherubs - whoever invented them was clearly disturbed.
I also was pretty big on allowing and figuring out God's will

I hear that often from believers and ex-believers alike. I guess I felt more loyalty to animals and people around me than I did to God. I never had an interest in following His will. In fact, I remember being intent to change His will regarding certain injustices, if only I could talk with Him a little and set Him straight. Ah, the egocentric nature of children!
I have only been to Mass a few times in my life. I think it would be awesome if done in Latin.

BTW, what did you do when it came time to kneel or receive communion?
I never knelt the few times I went to Mass and I felt rather conspicuous. I did kneel when I was a Groomsmen at a friends wedding and they celebrated a full Mass during the ceremony. It was torture.

I did listen during the sermon - apparently Jesus did not have a GPS during his life but he managed to find his way anyway and is always there to guide us.

I wonder if they got that from some online, sermon sharing site?
I'd have to say I miss the youth group part t he most, too, but I wouldn't be in that anymore so... nothing.

But it was pretty great having a community of people like that. Plus I was friends with the youth pastor (still am) and we would jam on the church instruments after and watch bad sci fi movies on the huge projector. It was definitely a good time living in the no where hick town I lived in.
Wow! This is an amazingly fresh story! I know what it is like to be estranged from family to varying degrees - sometimes self-inflicted to avoid drama. Time helps - but I know saying that doesn't matter when it is so new. I went cold-turkey on my church friends - I missed them a little but slowly cobbled together other support systems. Still figuring that out - church-less (and less family) support systems. Thank you for sharing this Will! I hope you search for and find support outside the faith, family and church.
I love to sing and was part of the school choir in a Christian school and a church band. I still find myself singing Christian songs and even about to pray when I'm in fear or worried. But no it's not a "sign"! Lol
Feeling like there was someone watching over me. That no matter how alone I was, I was never alone.... I'll always miss that.

But I realize that sadness is not a reason to turn my back on reason.
Christian Girlfriend!....lol...
My family wasn't overly religious, but we did go to church weekly for a long time. I certainly don't miss anything.

I have always especially enjoyed Christmas songs, decorations, and celebrations -- so continue to enjoy them.

I also like Greek mythology, the idea of witches and pagan nature deities, and Satanic heavy metal. I also enjoy all those things while knowing it's all BS.
Greek mythology is cool!
Well, now that you mention it, Greek Mythology was way cooler than cool!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

R.I.P What Does it Mean to You?

Started by Stephen Sutton in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 8 minutes ago. 75 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service