Fractals permeate nature, both the living and the dead.

What are fractals? They are repetitive patterns. For example, the small branches of a tree branch according to the same rules according to which main branches branch off from the trunk. The rules explaining the appearance of mountains and coastline are the same everywhere you go. See examples at this link.

You can blame fractals in life forms on DNA, but what about the fractals appearing in inanimate nature?

Without asserting that "God did it," what other explanations are there?

Tags: fractals

Views: 838

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure you'd never understand. It's one of His many mysteries, of course.

It's clearly part of a higher purpose that we couldn't even begin to fathom.

Without asserting that "God did it," what other explanations are there?

You're a lazy, lazy man, Jesus. Fifteen minutes of Google searches return numerous results indicating fractals are caused by iterative feedback loops. They result from a natural process not a supernatural one. 

It's worth noting that fractals are naturally occurring patterns that start out simple and get progressively more complex. Thus 'intelligent design', which states a 'creator' is the only explanation for complexity in nature, once again leaves that creator with nothing do to. 

Take the image I gave you with the original post. It's snow on mountain tops. What is feeding back to what when mountain ranges are arranged in much the same way as branches on a tree? I understand that the algorithm for tree branching can be attributed to the tree's DNA, but what about something like the branching of a river system or lightning, which have no DNA?

Asked and answered, Jebus. Fractals are explainable naturally. Intellectual laziness is not a rebuttal.

Besides, even if there really were no explanation, that would not be proof of God, it would just be another tiresome 'argument from ignorance' fallacy.

Crackpot: How do you explain X?
Me: I don't know.
Crackpot: (Triumphantly) See? God must have done it! It's the ONLY explanation!
Me: Why is God the only explanation? Why can't it have a natural explanation we don't understand yet?
Crackpot: Um...

And that's the thing, Jebus. In countless numbers of scientific investigations throughout human history, not once has the supernatural ever been the explanation for ANYTHING.

Explainable or not, either way your position is blasted apart. 

Where have I set forth a "position"? Nowhere have I made an argument for God. I just asked what the non-divine explanation might be for fractals. That's a question, not a position or argument.

Where have I set forth a "position"? Nowhere have I made an argument for God. I just asked what the non-divine explanation might be for fractals. That's a question, not a position or argument.

Divine means 'relating to or proceeding directly from God or a god'. So your question contains the built-in assumption that God exists. 

Setting aside that you've adopted the persona of Jesus and set up a classic  'argument from ignorance' fallacy, you also list yourself as a Christian in your profile. That's not a position?

Game, set, and match, Jebus. Thanks for playing!

You obviously haven't looked over my older posts. You're just primed to look for motives.

No, ostensibly you're just another crackpot who obscures his position with games and falsehoods and then moans about how misunderstood you are.

He's developing a tendency to leap to tall conclusions in a single bound - it's his superpower --

I call 'em like I see 'em. Declare yourself a Christian, employ Christian arguments, and refer to the divine, and I conclude that you're a Christian.

That's not me leaping, Arch. That's you flopping.

RE: "I call 'em like I see 'em." - hope you never apply to umpire school.

You proved who you are with Steven Dimattel. As far as I can tell, you're the only flop on this board. I thought you had slunk away with your tail between your legs, after realizing how wrong you'd been, yet here you are.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service