Fractals permeate nature, both the living and the dead.

What are fractals? They are repetitive patterns. For example, the small branches of a tree branch according to the same rules according to which main branches branch off from the trunk. The rules explaining the appearance of mountains and coastline are the same everywhere you go. See examples at this link.

You can blame fractals in life forms on DNA, but what about the fractals appearing in inanimate nature?

Without asserting that "God did it," what other explanations are there?

Tags: fractals

Views: 835

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're a monkey?

I'm a hairless ape.

Monkeys are a different line of primates.

My satire does not attempt to be perfectly historical or scientific...

Large complex systems organizing themselves based on physics and fundamentally on math just like every other thing ever?

It's hard to iimagine any sort of natural law without it being describable and predictable mathematically.

Yes, that could be a problem....

Non-divine (scientific/mathematical) explanations are filling up more and more books every minute of every day. The blindly faithful call this growth if knowledge unstable, or impermanent. The questions that the faithful should be asking are, why did God put all those dinosaur bones in the ground? How can science keep growing in size, ability, and effectiveness, unless its very foundation is actually stable and strong?

Even if God created it all to start with, for whatever reason, He still left scientific evidence everywhere for anyone to study, understand, and make useful.

God's biggest practical joke (for fun and war-making?) is allowing humans to write and preach scriptures that differ and conflict with each other, so that influential or powerful people can enforce differing blind faiths of different scriptures, and inhibit reason or physical evidence or growth of knowledge. What if the joke is really on the purposely ignorant, blind faithers; what if the real purpose of a rapture will be to filter out blindly faithful non-thinkers from the herd, leaving behind the skeptical who can think for themselves and actually use the intelligence given to them?

Yeah. Fractals are just the tip of the iceberg. Get busy on it, and enjoy the awesomeness, one way or the other. Even if everything (like fractals) was created "for a reason", then study it and learn about it. We will! I don't want God to smite me for being gullible and then arrogant about one specific belief system that never changes or grows.

This public message has been brought to you by FSM Pastafarry Dark Sauce, a division of Milky Way Boson Productions.

"Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down. down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it."
-- Dan Barker --

Nice. Adding to my favorites...

Sadly, if  'newagers' are involved, much of recorded intellectual history starts looking like a divine event. I have felt my moments of WOW, and had to stop myself from kneeling....

Without asserting that "God did it,"

as·ser·tion

1. The act of asserting.
2. Something declared or stated positively, often with no support or attempt at proof.

I like your choice of word.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 2 hours ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service