So I was having an online discussion with my younger brother a little more than a week ago about abortion. Being a devout and pro-life Catholic he held the opinion that life starts at conception, that it a fertilized egg is human and should be treated as human because it is a unique life different than the host parent. I have also been reading bio-ethics and many different places on the debate and they all seem to revolve around trying to justify scientifically what I can best describe as trying to answer the question, "when is an embryo tantamount to a human being?" 

Of course, that one question gave way to the larger question, "What makes us human?" Where do we define the limits of humanity? Is it strictly in a biological sense as in form, shape, and structure? Is it in potential in the case of infants? Is it in behavior; could someone act in a way that they are no longer considered, if even for a moment, a human? Is it in ability whether physical or mental? Is humanity a transitive property; in other words, is it a label that can be taken away or does it last regardless once it has been gained? Are their varying degrees of humanity where a person could be considered "more human" than someone else?

I am very curious to hear all of your thoughts and ideas!

Tags: humanity

Views: 3010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"the less I see a difference between us and the rest of the creatures we share the planet with."

I agree. That's why I find speciesism ethically unjustifiable. Speaking as a veggie, I also agree on the self-delusion issue. It stops us from considering the interests of other animals to the point that we happily condone mass cruetly and suffering.

The ability of vegetable-eaters to turn any discussion into a discussion of their favorite obsession is actually quite hilarious. I'm hoping for that day when it's proven that plants feel pain (in their own way) so that you suckers can starve to death.

lol, right on cue. I'm interested in ethics, wouldn't call it an obsession though. Another ill-thought out argument that perfectly illustrates self-delusion. Thanks buddy.

Did I offer an argument?

Yes

Okay, what are the premises and what is the conclusion?

We have a very large and growing garden. Yes, we eat veges, but I figure, that with us, many of our plants find a place for propagation, appreciation, and protection. There are several families now that have garlic, potatos, herbs, etc that I have propagated and now gifted out. Could be considered a Win-Win, plants and us.

What makes us human? Well bacteria for the most part - in a very literal sense !

the birth control that is free and the 100% accurate to not getting pregnant is not having sex, i mean really there it is!!! when i heard about Sandra Fluke story i was shocked, so i looked inline and discovered that she spends $3K on Birth control, Jesus Christ WOW. then i saw this in http://winteryknight.wordpress.com "A Georgetown co-ed told Rep. Nancy Pelosi’s hearing that the women in her law school program are having so much sex that they’re going broke" really why should the government by that i mean the TAX PAYERS pay for that when all they can do is not have sex and save some money. 

This is your response to "What makes us human?"

Explain please.

RE: "when all they can do is not have sex"

Now what kind of lame-brained idea is that, to put in the mind of a hot, young college girl?! You sound like you're trying to turn back the clock 50 years! Who do you think you are, a Republican?

"...when all they can do is not have sex and save some money."

Of course, they could also have more sex and make some money, too. All in the entrepreneurial spirit touted by conservatives and Republicans.

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

Genesis 3 - Quality Propaganda

Started by Aiken Drums Sister in Politics 2 hours ago. 0 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 43 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Aiken Drums Sister 3 hours ago. 17 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service