So I was having an online discussion with my younger brother a little more than a week ago about abortion. Being a devout and pro-life Catholic he held the opinion that life starts at conception, that it a fertilized egg is human and should be treated as human because it is a unique life different than the host parent. I have also been reading bio-ethics and many different places on the debate and they all seem to revolve around trying to justify scientifically what I can best describe as trying to answer the question, "when is an embryo tantamount to a human being?" 

Of course, that one question gave way to the larger question, "What makes us human?" Where do we define the limits of humanity? Is it strictly in a biological sense as in form, shape, and structure? Is it in potential in the case of infants? Is it in behavior; could someone act in a way that they are no longer considered, if even for a moment, a human? Is it in ability whether physical or mental? Is humanity a transitive property; in other words, is it a label that can be taken away or does it last regardless once it has been gained? Are their varying degrees of humanity where a person could be considered "more human" than someone else?

I am very curious to hear all of your thoughts and ideas!

Views: 3490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When you value a piece of gold, a baby, a terse response on a forum, you do that because it is in your nature to do so, right? But if you have no choice but to value that gold, baby, etc, how can the term 'value' have any meaning for you? Can anything therefore have value? You are not freely choosing or assigning relative weight.

I'm pretty sure that saying "I believe in value and I have free will" means exactly the same as "I believe in value" because "free will" is a meaningless string of words (I won't dignify it as a concept until someone can explain to me what it means without conundrum or contradiction).

If words had no meaning for me, I wouldn't be able to form intelligible sentences relevant to a subject matter and context.

Simply because I do what I do because of who I am, what I know, and the circumstances I find myself in, and in conformity with physical laws, doesn't mean words ("value" included) have no meaning for me.

One can experience imagining a moment that has not occurred, then observe the imagined moment as occurring, then observe the experience as having had occurred. What is known as “imagined,” becomes what is known as “fact.” Some know this happens; but how does it happen and how do they know?

It's called "coincidence," and coincidences are fairly common. They need no explanation because they just happen.

I imagine getting hired. I apply and am hired. Imagination becomes fact. Just a coincidence.

It should look like this:  "I imagine getting hired. I get hired." No need to toss in the "I apply" part. Imagining getting hired becomes a fact when occurs, as does getting hired become a fact when it occurs. The process is fairly common in my experience as well.  Consider just the part about  imagining; something new is made available.

Still just a coincidence, and coincidences happen all the time. We just notice some of them for some reason. All a coincidence is, is the incidents of two events that can be related to each other in some way (they happened at the same time, they happened one after the other, they can be related conceptually).

If I go to the grocery store and run into someone I know, that is a coincidence because it means something to me. However, I am there coincidentally with everyone else in the store, but those coincidences are meaningless to me, so I don't refer to them as coincidences.

"I imagine relating two events. I relate two events. Two events are related." 

"We just notice some of them for some reason."

I imagine noticing an event for some reason. I notice an event for some reason. An event is noticed for some reason.

This process does indeed happen all the time.

Something very similar to what you imagined ends up happening.  You do not imagine it perfectly.  

And if you perfectly imagine something that perfectly comes to pass, you just have a mind that was good at extrapolating probability of the exact future circumstances based on previous experience with similar or related things.  

"Self-fulfilling prophecies" how do those work?

It means that your belief that something is going to happen has such a dramatic effect on your behavior that these changes in behavior caused by that belief, set things in motion for the prediction to come true.

The trouble is that there is no way to know that you have remembered something perfectly so there is no way to know if something perfectly comes to pass. One can be of that impression, but no more.

Maybe, since everyone here seems to agree that "perfection" doesn't exist, or at least we can't know it, we should "choose" (if we can) another group of words. I was okay with "similar" and "related". "Accurate" can serve well, depending on the intention.:)

If that's not perfection Blaine, it'll have to do til something better comes along!

RSS

© 2022   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service