I'm 22 years old and for financial reasons, I'm living with my parents now. A couple days ago, my father told me to "grow up". He was just being a crab ass, but the topic has been bothering me for days... What makes someone an adult? I'm a highly inquisitive, emphatic, sense seeking person... Does it make me childish to be curious?

I just want to know your thoughts. I know there might be different definitions due to age and cultural differences, and I'd love to hear them!

Also, throw some religious ideas about this in there :) how can an extremely religious people with their imaginary friend in the sky be considered adults?

Have at 'er!

Lindsay

Tags: Family, ethics, morals

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about I just add it to the list of how I think I should act? I'm not into telling anyone else how to live. I'm just trying to find out how I can live my life without bothering anyone else too much :)

http://www.viruscomix.com/gotes.jpg

And here is an excellent little picture that fits the discussion.

The day you can't act like a little kid is the day you get old. Most of the "Grow Up" shit comes from people who find it hard to enjoy life.

well I find it impressive the fact a 22 year old "kid" is having this discussion. I think this alone adds 20 years to your maturity quotient.

That and the fact I was thinking of the being a "crab ass" and having a similar conversation with my son, this has caused me to reconsider. thnx.

I'm 23 & I don't have a clue. I'll let you know when I grow up, but don't hold your breath.
FINE! I won't! *stomps foot *

my 15 year old son says it is when you become responsible for your decisions.

Good and bad decisions.

The 21 year old just told me to grow up. lol

Methinks your son is correct.

I'm 23, and have been bouncing between homes for a couple of years now, due to not having enough income to afford my own place. It was immaturity (not taking responsibility for my actions) that got me into the situation I am currently in, and by accepting responsibility for my choices I am slowly crawling out of that hole.

The concept of maturity should not be one of cultural ideals, but one of responsibility. Give your son a high five for awesomeness!

But some people use their responsibilities as an excuse...
being responsible for your own actions is different from hiding behind responsibilities, or using them as an excuse.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Alan Hotchy 41 minutes ago. 40 Replies

The Angelina Jolie Effect

Started by Belle Rose in Biology and Medicine. Last reply by Ari 3 hours ago. 2 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service