What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6216

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I think I just heard the "Twilight Zone" theme --

As it turns out I am a honey badger who sometimes dreams he is a butterfly and sometimes dreams he is Unseen.

We won't discuss my opinion - TOS rules don't permit.

My grandfather, a farmer, was known throughout the area as having the ability to "douse" for water. I have no way to confirm.

Yeah, there could be information channels or communication methods that remain undiscovered. I used to have déjà vu regularly, some estimates say 75% of us have experienced it. The brain is amazing, the specific abilities of savants, the ability of the blind to navigate, etc. We have only just begun to understand ourselves

Although there could be information channels or methods of communication that remain undiscovered - to date, no one has ever shown any ability to use such methods while under scrutiny.  Déjà vu is very easily explained through neurology, as are the abilities of savants.  The ability of blind people to navigate is anything but magic to those who teach orientation and mobility to blind people.

But, yes, we have only begun to understand ourselves - and that understanding invariably comes through scientific study and never seems to yield answers involving magic.

Don't misunderstand Robert, I'm not suggesting, "magic," but there's the possibility that there are natural abilities that we possess that have not been fully explored or investigated. The possibility also exists that some of us might possess mutations that haven't yet spread to the remainder of society - mutations have to begin somewhere.

Only an anachronistic lack of informed self-reflection would lead one to suppose that an intelligent, alien life-form would be even remotely like ourselves. Evolution is an unceasing river of forms and adaptive solutions to special conditions, and culture is even more so. It is far more likely that an alien intelligence would be barely recognizable to us than that it should overwhelm us with such similarities as humanoid form and an intimate knowledge of our gross industrial capacity. Star-traveling species could be presumed to have such a sophisticated knowledge of genetics and DNA function and therefore would not necessarily bear the form that evolution on a native planet had given them. They might well look as they wished to look.

In a lot of Twilight Zone episodes, there's often a depiction of interdimensional representation of extraterrestrial life that not only travel from galaxy to galaxy, but from one parallel universe to the next. So, I don't believe magic is a trivial issue at all when it comes to pondering these extraterrestrial life forms. If you refer to Arthur C. Clarke's third law of prediction: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic," then you can kind of get an idea how this works.

For instance, there's an episode of the Twilight Zone, I forget which, there's a few of 'em with extraterrestrials, where these aliens have the ability to pop in at any point of the universe from a higher dimension. So, you see, if you hypothesize a technology with access to one spatial dimension higher, then suddenly all the mysteries of magic become trivial.  They are easily done. Locked boxes are opened; future events are discerned; lost objects are found. This sort of thing becomes quite the ordinary run of things if we hypothesize dimensions hidden from ordinary experience.

@Jimmy --

I read an article once, by a zoologist, speculating on what might have happened, had the asteroid not wiped out the dinosaurs. Obviously, the mammalian era would have been quite different, and we may not have survived at all, much less evolved to become the dominant species on earth.

He speculated that velociraptors would likely have evolved to fill that niche, and he anticipated they would have developed an almost humanoid shape, as that, with its tailless trunk, five fingers and toes and equi-length arms and legs, are far more efficient than the reptilian body shape.

So, if we are to believe him, there's a possibility that species from other worlds - at least those with similar gravities - might evolve similar body shapes.

@archaeopteryx Sure, I can see how that's definitely a possibility, but the other wrinkle I added is that, no matter what evolutionary form develops it ultimately wouldn't matter once they've thoroughly understood DNA and genetics, then they could literally design themselves anyway they wish, and the form that follows after genetic modification may not in the slightest even resemble their natural evolutionary form prior to genetic manipulation.

Although, anthropoidal repitilians sort of reminds me of David Icke's rant. It's funny how we have plausible scenarios in conspiracy theory where maybe you have a staged attack on the World Trade Center, maybe you have secret government scandals, but then when someone puts forth the notion that maybe our world is actually run by an Illuminati comprised of interstellar reptilian beings, you begin to think who knows what the fuck is going on?! I mean, I don't personally buy it, but if it ever were to turn out that it's true, what a fuckin' crazy universe we live in!

once they've thoroughly understood DNA and genetics, then they could literally design themselves anyway they wish

I agree. That could explain Ted Cruz.

So why are you here, instead of over on another, more reliable thread?

Oh, wait a minute - I get it now! For the first time in an eon, there are no discussions with YOUR face glaring down on all - losing it?

why should we even take her other claims seriously?

Did she say she CARED if you took her claims seriously? Are you really that full of self-aggrandizement? Time for a reality check --

Really? I'll have to get to work on that.

Why should I care if she cares?

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service