What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6262

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Should I  open a thread about my invisible friend Xordar who regularly takes me to a McDonnalds on the moon

Yes, if you're sincere about it!

Shouldn't anybody who even remotely likes me here stop be from making such a buffoon of myself?

Noooooooo way!!

:)

The entertainment value alone is just FAR too high!

I remember when UFO's first became a topic. The hoaxers then would hang pie tins from threads. Your video here looks even more primitive than that. 

If these things really exist WHY are the videos always so crude as to be confused with really dumb hoaxes? With the quality of today's cameras—even those built into smartphones—why do we always see a blob of light and not something with edges and contours and evident mass?

Something that doesn't look prima facie like a hoax would really, really be helpful.

Aren't there enough other threads here to keep people's personal interests, if they dislike this thread?

Excellent point, Papi - we think alike - at least Danielle's not trying to cram it down our throats, like a theist might, she presents it and we can believe or not, as we choose - attacking is another issue entirely.

@kOrsan

Frankly I'm baffled why some people here were ready to cut you so much slack, but at the end yours is just another story of imaginary, unproven, magical nonsense and should be treated no differently.

I think because she has presented herself as a victim. A sad sack. "Let's not be hard on her because she was born with both male and female genitals and she says she's been oppressed by the government and people give her a hard time for some reason."

The thing is, when she's telling us like that she's had in-person contact of an unpleasant nature with aliens and has been on an alien spacecraft, why should we even take her other claims seriously? 

Because some people, for whatever reason or reasons, find themselves in situations others can't believe.  I am not saying danielle is psychotic, but in theory somebody could be psychotic AND have difficult-to-fathom-unless-you've-been-there-yourself circumstances going on.  I have seen it before.  I have not believed before, and have been proven wrong.

One might just say exactly the same thing was Moses and the burning bush, Dianne.  The point is that anyone still retaining a grasp on reality would realize how crazy those claims were and wouldn't expect others to believe them.  Anyone who takes offense to credulity in such circumstances definitely needs a wake-up call.

I can see your point.  It's just that perception and reality can be very tricky.  I have had things happen that I have thought others wouldn't believe.  I have had things happen that I don't believe!  I don't talk about some things because of that, but they definitely happened.  Or, alternately, that is how my memory perceives things went.  Just because someone has some outlandish claims it does not necessarily follow, to me, that nothing he or she says is likely to be real.   Life is just not that black and white to me.

You've completely missed the point so let me make this as clear as I can.

I'm not addressing the veracity of the claim itself.  I do not believe that it occurred, but that is irrelevant.

I am addressing the ability to realize that sane people simply would not accept such a claim at face value.  In evaluating the mentally ill, this ability is called 'insight'.

For the most part, as long as a person has such 'insight', it is possible to engage them in a discussion of their experience.  Once they lose that insight, no exchange is possible as they will simply prattle on about crazier and crazier shit, demanding that all claims be accepted at face value.

I did not miss the point.  I got it.  I'm not stupid, Heather.  I know what insight is.  I also know what compassion is.

You said you got the point - and then went on to suggest that one could never be so certain about the veracity of the claim.  How then, was that relevant, when the point wasn't the veracity of the claim?

Never mind.  I will drop back and punt.  It's not worth it to me to get into this with you.  I was simply trying to promote some compassion and understanding where it seemed lacking.  

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service