What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6262

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Several years ago I had considered writing a short paper on the philosophical effects of the discovery of alien intelligence. I floated this idea with a prof. in the Philosophy department, and he suggested that it might be a bad career move. I had planned to deliver the paper before a local conference, but finally decided against it. I even brought the idea before the department's Philosophy club, but it also was poorly received.

I did find this an odd state of affairs, since we seemed to be able to consider everything else including the Mass Extinction debate, Global Warming, Suicide Rights, LGBT civil rights issues, etc. I did notice that many students seemed to consider theist issues on par with the Alien Intelligence question, with decidability and evidence the primary hangups.

It seems that most anything could be said about an alien intelligence, but little of any value. I have since found video presentations concerning the 'science' of exobiology, with lots of good material worth a look see. As extream environmental conditiontions are explored on this planet, life makes  a presence, opening up possibilities. Saying 'what is possible', in the light of this growing science seems premature. 

I repeat my question: Why do you imagine the government feels it's important to keep extraterrestrials secret?

Invoking the Inquisition is rather lacking in explanatory value.

There are NO space aliens visiting the planet Earth.

There are NO doGs.

Prove me wrong.

ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp keeps referring to her own supposed personal experiences, but if we are going to start accepting personal experiences people think they have had, not only will we be accepting the existence of extraterrestrials, but also God, angels, ghosts, and a long list of other things we don't believe in.

She doesn't like the more realistic explanations of delusional episodes, misperceptions, dreams, being punked, etc.

If I just accepted my perceptions as is without trying to fit them into a rational framework, I'd have to believe that that mirage I see on the highway in front of me on a hot day is water on the road.

You dont know if there are extraterrestrials visiting Earth or not, because you have not seen or experienced anything, which is the truth. So for you its no, and me its yes until something happens eventually (i hope in our lifetimes).

I agree , gods dont exist, but some people like to claim extraterrestrials are gods... no they not, they like people people too, they eat, shit, sleep and die like all lifeforms.

Google can provide some evidence, if your smart enough to distinguish the truth from the bullcrap.

Things don't become factual when someone experiences something. They become fact when they can be proven AND when they can be fit into the body of shared knowledge. Personal experiences can incorporate a lot more than the perceptions of our senses, they can include delusions, illusions, mirages, quasi-hypnotic suggestions, schizophrenic and other breaks from reality, etc.

Sadly, it seems to be YOU who cannot distinguish truth from reality. Spend less time on google and youtube and why not enroll in some science courses plus a logic course or two?

"You don't know if there are extraterrestrials visiting Earth or not..."

Actually I'm absolutely positively certain there are no extraterrestrials visiting Earth.

How do I know?  Because I'm not in an ET work camp prison.

Sadly human fantacy and SF contains numerous examples of plots where 'slaves' might never know their actual predicament.

Recently I was at the DMV.........

Ok you get my drift!

Hahaha....so true...Baby Bush was indeed from another planet. :D

And when are you going to do The Great Reveal: What is the reason why the government doesn't want us to know about ET's?

because they have murdered a few...

Who has murdered whom?

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service