What is your take on extraterrestrial intelligences, have you seen "UFO"s , or even been in one if you lucky and caught by a surprise ? Have you met any people from other planets ? Or simply if you have not, what are your thoughts about the topic, and would you like to have an experience ?

Do you believe in the existence extraterrestrials ? (Belief is based on faith or trust without looking at the evidence, data, mathematical models, that is because your friend saw something, and you trust your friend, without research, that is belief)

Do you understand the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(Understanding is based on collecting data , evidence, mathematical models such as drake equation, astrobiology research etc and deriving a conclusion)

Do you know the existence of extraterrestrials ?

(That is when you have had your own personal experience, scrutinized it to be legitimate experience, as well as comparing your experience with other's evidence data and so on)

Tags: aliens, extraterrestrials, people, star

Views: 6308

Attachments:

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I want to throw a few more logs on this fire.

To date, astronomers have confirmed 723 planets outside our solar system ref: http://exoplanets.org/ .

Scientific knowledge builds on  the discoveries of earlier science.Basic chemistry tells us that there are some compounds that cannot exist. All biological processes  are chemical in nature and , as such certain biological compounds cannot exist. It's a fairly safe assumption that extraterrestrial life is carbon based, and built on the same basic proteins we find on earth.

We humans are exceptional in evolutionary biology. Most species on the planet persist through genetic adaptability that requires a short maturation period with prolific progenisys. This allows species such as microbes and insects to adapt to changes in the environment, Humans have the ability to adapt the environment to us, through the use of tools and intelligence.  Evolving the ability to use tools would require a specific type of environment, meaning that any intelligent life is very likely to be warm-blooded ( brain development seems to require temperature regulation) and bipedal with opposable thumbs (need to keep those hands free).  Such requirements greatly reduces the probability of intelligent life among the planets that may have life.

UFO is an acronym for Unidentified Flying Object, So, in a technical sense, UFOs exist as object that appear to be flying and are unidentified, However, once they are identified, they cease to be UFOs. They are usually identified as hoaxes, or rare natural phenomena,

Belief sometimes follows the evidence and sometimes it doesn’t. When I go to sleep, it is with the expectation that I will wake up later. This particular sequence has been repeated countless time in my personal experience. Someday, however, I may die in my sleep, but I prefer to believe that won't happen for a long time.

And, as a parting factoid, researchers have discovered we humans may be genetically hardwired to recognize faces and human forms in patterns Some think this may be a vestigial survival related behavior.These patterns are often interpreted in accordance with what we want to believe. a burn pattern on toast is assumed to be Jesus, lens flares and film damage cause by a faulty camera or water stains from a plumbing leak may be interpreted as the virgin Mary, and a chance pattern of shadows from an obliquely lit group of hills may be interpreted as monuments in orbiter photos of the surface of Mars.

I see all kinds of human and other animal faces in the carpet, on the walls, or sometimes other surfaces with texture. But no such luck with toast.

When it comes to subatomic physics, our scientists have reached the conclusion that even if there is a deterministic physics covering the subatomic level the way newtonian/einsteinian physics covers the gross level of the world of our senses, we'll probably never know and so we we don't pretend there is any.

Likewise, we'll probably never know if there's life anywhere else in the universe, so—even if it's likely there is life out there—perhaps we should stop talking like there is any and concentrate on things we're more likely to come to know.

Where is the lack of parallelism in the two examples?

One would think that in this day of HD cameras and videos that some one some where would have an image that is absolutely unambiguous.  Why have we never once seen one?  That alone is suspicious enough to consign UFO's to fantasy and delusion.

Not just HD cameras but smartphone and tablet cameras as well as surveillance cameras.

I used to feel that way, too. But if they're visiting, it's clear they don't want to be confirmed, and it should be quite easy with advanced technology to appear or disappear with stealth at will.

But I'll admit that the lack of evidence still weighs against their presence.

Extraterrestrials???

I got one locked in the basement...or it could just be my crappy neighbor. :D

The math indicates it's a possibility.

No evidence to date.

The distances and time frame may take this all out of our frame of reference.

I'd LOVE to have a UFO experience. Seems very exciting. 

But, as things stand, that last line of the video wraps it all up nicely:

"Premiers tomorrow night on FoxTel's SCI-FI channel." (The "Fi" bit stands for "fiction")

I actually hope more people did have experiences... I know and I agree , science fiction channel is supposed to be for science fiction , not documentaries... see the thing is what I dont like is the topic of extraterrestrials gets thrown and mixed with the supernatural junk... it annoys the piss out of me, because it makes the subject less credible for study and analysis and more of a joke. Its like putting dinosaurs on Noah's ark, or something as dumb as this(which much of the anti-ET agenda fascist people believe)  ::

Sorry to be repetitious, but:

A. the proposition that alien life forms are visiting earth, in the face of the distances and with the physics we have, is an extraordinary proposition and would, therefore, require some extraordinary  evidence to convince rational skeptics, and

B. considering that, to my understanding, there is not one button of hard evidence to support the proposition

science fiction is the proper category.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct sir.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 57 minutes ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 12 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Pope Beanie 1 hour ago. 48 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Pope Beanie 14 hours ago. 14 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service